Goodbye Jesus

I'm baffled by the American Evangelical Christian Right.

walterpthefirst

On 10/14/2024 at 3:26 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

In the case of your example, christian nationalists believe that America is under a completely new and separate covenant with god, as defined by the US Constitution.  The Constitution itself is the covenant.  And since America is under a separate covenant, they are justified in cherry picking either, both, or neither of the previous covenants to justify their actions and beliefs.

Here's what our tax dollars go toward: educating our children about the Constitution (and PBS): 

(for those of you who can read) 😉

https://www.salon.com/2024/10/13/citizen-nation-shows-theres-hope-for-democracy-and-our-future-in-championing-civics-in-schools/

At some point in this discussion I had to look up the term ‘Christian Nationalist’. I was surprised by what I found to be the definition. There were three references: Christianity.com, Wikipedia, and Freethoughttoday.com. I sum it up as Christians that want religious and civil law to be the same. Wow. That bothers me. Religion first people second hasn’t gone well in history and sucks for people living under that  today. 

There are stereotypes presented in this discussion. I can see elements of those stereotypes. I do not have references of a majority representation of some of those stereotypes in my area. Could be I’m not engage with such people, could be there are not those people in this area. And it may be that I put not-actively religious rednecks in a separate category as active Christians. (Not meant as a subtle towards you professor). If Walt would have asked for a non-church going redneck NRA member who checked Christian in the box of religion I could have delivered such a personality in a different perspective. 

I do see the influence of Christian Nationalism peppered into some of the preaching that I’ve heard. But more so in private impassionate opinions. The majority of public oration seems to be personal growth, evangelism, and salvation.  

My pursuit is the best approximation of accuracy available. I left Christianity because of the lack of it. That is my purpose in this post. To provide a foreigner with an accurate perspective of Christians in my area. Sheep following the leaders and not questioning much. But leaders that are not aggressive in government take over. Again, in my area. 

I am familiar with small autonomous local churches. And drawing from those experiences.