Goodbye Jesus

What Bible version do you recommend?

Casualfanboy16

Hi! What sort of Bible would you guys recommend for someone like me who wants to get back into reading it to dissect the bullshit they learned since childhood. Preferably not something incredibly difficult to get through because some of the old English used in certain Bibles (like KJV, I think?) messes me up sometimes lol. I don't want something too simple, but not something with so much language that trips me up. Which version(s) would be a good starting point?

1 hour ago, Casualfanboy16 said:

Hi! What sort of Bible would you guys recommend for someone like me who wants to get back into reading it to dissect the bullshit they learned since childhood. Preferably not something incredibly difficult to get through because some of the old English used in certain Bibles (like KJV, I think?) messes me up sometimes lol. I don't want something too simple, but not something with so much language that trips me up. Which version(s) would be a good starting point?

I guess the King James version is as good as any IMO since most other English versions are trying to clarify this original English version, so additional mis-translations could occur. I don't find the KJ version difficult to read, but any version is as much BS as any other IMO. But if you like fictional stories and want to understand them better there are many good choices.

• Like 1

Several scholars I respect, including some former Christians, recommend the New American Standard version.  It’s considered to be one of the most accurate versions, not trying to spin it in favor of any particular theology, and it uses modern language.  

• Like 1

It doesn't matter which version you chose which might involve a few more, or less mis-translationa, since the entire book is pure fiction anyway. But one of the better choices, so I have read, could be the MEV bible since it considers both the KJV and the original Greek version, considering the many dialects of English, which could be a problem for some American English speakers.

https://www.logos.com/product/43990/modern-english-version

• Like 1

Alright! Will take those into consideration. I just got a Bible app recently, since I didn't want my family to see me studying a physical Bible and get any wrong ideas lol. It's easy, it's free, and has multiple different translations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Casualfanboy16 said:

Alright! Will take those into consideration. I just got a Bible app recently, since I didn't want my family to see me studying a physical Bible and get any wrong ideas lol. It's easy, it's free, and has multiple different translations.

Free is always a great choice when it comes to reading fictional stories :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pantheory said:

Free is always a great choice when it comes to reading fictional stories :)

Amen! 🙏 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...