Goodbye Jesus

No-Fault Divorce On the Way Out in Some States---if conservatives have their way

TheBluegrassSkeptic

Gahhh..this has me so upset. I live in one of the states where they're trying to restrict no-fault divorce even further. This growing trend should have you seriously worried, especially if you’re female. Before no-fault divorce, women who were abused would have to prove it in court in order to leave the marriage with any of the property. And fellas, this is bad for you too. Imagine leaving a marriage with nothing out of “religious principle" as a punishment for not being willing to continue to tolerate abuse. People are not chattle. Every civil contract —business and relationship—has a legal out that doesn't require acrimony. This is not about due process so you can go to court and bitch about how much you love someone who doesn’t love you back and force them to stay.

What kind of fucking psychos support this???? This shit should not stand in SCOTUS, but these states are gonna try to force it to go that route. Out fucking rageous. One of the arguments against the dv issue I mentioned earlier is that more domestic violence occurs amongst unmarried couples, but generally, unmarried couples are subject to marital property laws....which in a married dv situation means one is more likely to tolerate so they don't lose said property. Lots of motivation to just make the unwanted marital partner disappear to avoid the property laws as well. Just, this whole mindset is wow...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jun/25/republicans-no-fault-divorce

• Thanks 2

They tend to be legalistic believers that demand absolute obedience to their version of belief. In this case they want to make women submit without question, because they think the husband is like God. They also don't want anyone (especially women) enjoying sex without the consequence of pregnancy. I think somewhere inside they believe that Jesus will smile at them for pushing such rules. Beta males that want to control females. 

• Like 3

I am old enough to remember the situation before this became the standard, and couples would have to stage a fight before some friends who'd agreed to go along with the scene in order to have witnesses for the court proceedings.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/26/2024 at 7:20 AM, TheBluegrassSkeptic said:

People are not chattle.

No. We are cattle. Heard that said about women very recently. As to our anatomies being the same. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, older said:

I am old enough to remember the situation before this became the standard, and couples would have to stage a fight before some friends who'd agreed to go along with the scene in order to have witnesses for the court proceedings.

I remember those days.  One guy had to prove his wife was sleeping with a policeman before he could get a divorce.

• Sad 1

Yeah, I remember hearing about divorce back before the 70s. My paternal grandmother had a hell of a time getting divorced and grandpa ended taking the kids and moving 8 states away. My dad didn't meet his mother until he was nearly 30. :( Can you imagine? I don't want to, let alone my kids live like that. I don't see this standing up in SCOTUS but the absolute nerve. I get their irrational gripes about birth control and abortion, etc. I don't agree, but fine, I get it. But this, to me, is just a new low. This is feeling more and more ancient Abrahamic year by year with their goals and it's truly disturbing as a domestic violence survivor myself. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, TheBluegrassSkeptic said:

This is feeling more and more ancient Abrahamic year by year with their goals ....

Some of us call it the Christian Taliban. Believe what you want but keep it to yourself and don't cram it down the throats of others.

• Thanks 1