Goodbye Jesus

BAD FAITH

Weezer

BAD FAITH is a new documentary that has come out that explains in detail how some Evangicals believe God is working in our society.  Very interesting!

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

There seems to be a high percentage of what I'd term "beta" males in this movement. God gives them a feeling of power, masculinity, dominion over women, potency, being in charge, and magic in whatever way they imagine it. It isn't even really Christianity anymore, since they tend to focus on Old Testament everything so they can embrace being violent instead of compassionate. If they use the New Testament, it is the apocalyptic parts where Jesus is a judge torturing his enemies. I saw a video of a squeaky voiced guy in a suit at a pulpit trying to yell about God's wrath against fags and such, and then he threw a nazi salute. It's all kind of mixed together for the various cults inside the cult. They honestly don't seem to care about facts at all, and are locked into trying to feel the thrill of being "warriors for Jesus". I think that thrill is the entire motivation for much of the insanity we see in politics these days. 

Matt Shea was such a candidate here in Washington state, and wrote a 4-page manifesto about holy war:

https://www.spokesman.com/documents/2018/oct/25/biblical-basis-war/

News blurb about his manifesto and views:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/state-lawmaker-matt-shea-defends-advocacy-for-holy-army-as-spokane-sheriff-refers-his-writings-to-fbi/

A Rolling Stone article on him:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/matt-shea-washington-state-liberty-744850/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fuego said:

There seems to be a high percentage of what I'd term "beta" males in this movement. God gives them a feeling of power, masculinity, dominion over women, potency, being in charge, and magic in whatever way they imagine it. It isn't even really Christianity anymore, since they tend to focus on Old Testament everything so they can embrace being violent instead of compassionate. If they use the New Testament, it is the apocalyptic parts where Jesus is a judge torturing his enemies. I saw a video of a squeaky voiced guy in a suit at a pulpit trying to yell about God's wrath against fags and such, and then he threw a nazi salute. It's all kind of mixed together for the various cults inside the cult. They honestly don't seem to care about facts at all, and are locked into trying to feel the thrill of being "warriors for Jesus". I think that thrill is the entire motivation for much of the insanity we see in politics these days. 

Matt Shea was such a candidate here in Washington state, and wrote a 4-page manifesto about holy war:

https://www.spokesman.com/documents/2018/oct/25/biblical-basis-war/

News blurb about his manifesto and views:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/state-lawmaker-matt-shea-defends-advocacy-for-holy-army-as-spokane-sheriff-refers-his-writings-to-fbi/

A Rolling Stone article on him:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/matt-shea-washington-state-liberty-744850/

What I worry about is if an end-times Christian gets into a position where they have access to nuclear weapons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, older said:

What I worry about is if an end-times Christian gets into a position where they have access to nuclear weapons. 

As far as I know, that person would have to have a whole bunch of buy-in from Congress to be able to use them. We came rather close to such a person with the current speaker, but there's still enough opposition to keep that in check. I'm keeping an eye on the Russia/Ukraine war and what is likely to happen as the global game continues. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fuego said:

As far as I know, that person would have to have a whole bunch of buy-in from Congress to be able to use them. We came rather close to such a person with the current speaker, but there's still enough opposition to keep that in check. I'm keeping an eye on the Russia/Ukraine war and what is likely to happen as the global game continues. 

But what about the folks at the control panels? What if the person whose hand is over the button, and the person who supervises that and has to give the OK, are both nuts?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, older said:

But what about the folks at the control panels? What if the person whose hand is over the button, and the person who supervises that and has to give the OK, are both nuts?

And think it is their responsibility to bring about the rapture, as some of the Trump followers believe Trump is destin to do.  (so I have heard)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2024 at 7:41 AM, Weezer said:

BAD FAITH is a new documentary that has come out that explains in detail how some Evangicals believe God is working in our society.  Very interesting!

Mixing politics with religion results in a pile of **it. Although religions are mixed with some moralistic values, as a whole they are a pile of BS. Although politics is sometimes mixed with necessary policies and ideas, as a whole it's a pile of HS. Their combination can be no better than its parts. They both stink unless sterilized and become quaint stories for kindergarten kids,  like the Bible, the Quran and Santa.

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2024 at 5:26 PM, older said:

There is no single button. Historically there are a series of checks and balances, routines that that are followed along with codes so that any order is verified, to make sure a "General Jack Ripper" type (movie Dr Strangelove) can't unilaterally launch. Could all of those systems be populated by fundy cult members? I don't know. How things are actually done vs how it is portrayed are bound to be different, particularly after the most secret documents we have as a country were left out in the open at Mar A Lago. Unimaginable damage was done, and we have to assume it all got into enemy hands. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fuego said:

There is no single button. Historically there are a series of checks and balances, routines that that are followed along with codes so that any order is verified, to make sure a "General Jack Ripper" type (movie Dr Strangelove) can't unilaterally launch. Could all of those systems be populated by fundy cult members? I don't know. How things are actually done vs how it is portrayed are bound to be different, particularly after the most secret documents we have as a country were left out in the open at Mar A Lago. Unimaginable damage was done, and we have to assume it all got into enemy hands. 

I remember seeing a political cartoon that was funny. It was when Biden was also accused of having highly classified documents in his garage. There was a sign saying garage sale supposedly at Biden's house, and Trump was sitting with Biden in the garage. Trump had a floppy hat on so that he wouldn't be recognized. They both had documents in their hands and Trump said I'll trade you two of these for one of those. Biden said, no, I have lots of those, I don't need any more. Trump said "but these docs are usable right now." Then Biden looked at them and said OK, then they traded some documents :)

I recently read the book, IN GOD WE TRUST, by Paul Newman (published 1974) which is a collection of letters, statements and documents made by pilgrims to America from the early 1600s to the early 1800s.  I now see why some believe we were established as a "Christian" naton, and why they believed in manifest destiny.  That was what many of them came here to accomplish, and practiced in their early local rules and regulations.

But I am thinking the writers of the constitution were sly, or wise, or both.  They refer to a creator, but nowhere do they refer to God, Jesus, Christianity, or quote any scripture.  If they all claimed to be Christian, some of them seem to have been Christian in name only.  I believe they were very careful to not tie us to any specific religion.

10 minutes ago, Weezer said:

But I am thinking the writers of the constitution were sly, or wise, or both.  They refer to a creator, but nowhere do they refer to God, Jesus, Christianity, or quote any scripture.  If they all claimed to be Christian, some of them seem to have been CChristian in name only.  I believe they were very careful to not tie us to any specific religion.

Could they have been these guys? New series I found on a free trial of the Gaia channel on Amazon. This is great stuff Weeze

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0CPSPXTV8/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moxieflux66 said:

Could they have been these guys? New series I found on a free trial of the Gaia channel on Amazon. This is great stuff Weeze

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0CPSPXTV8/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

I think some of them were FreeMasons, which may have had a connection to the Knights Templar.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Weezer said:

I think some of them were FreeMasons, which may have had a connection to the Knights Templar.

This series is hosted by a Templar Grandmaster and another member of the Templars. My understanding of the Templars is that they came first and Freemasonry derived from it. I think I'll have to watch it again (all ten episodes) because I keep trying to watch it at night and fall asleep during the show. Damn, this being old...☹️

4 minutes ago, moxieflux66 said:

This series is hosted by a Templar Grandmaster and another member of the Templars. My understanding of the Templars is that they came first and Freemasonry derived from it. I think I'll have to watch it again (all ten episodes) because I keep trying to watch it at night and fall asleep during the show. Damn, this being old...☹️

Speaking of being old, i did some research on the Templars years ago, but have forgotten most of what I learned. 

While typing this I Googled the purpose of the Templars.  Very interesting.  It says the Catholic church used them for 200? years, but eventually  disbanded them and burned the last one of them at stake.  Perhaps some of them continued in secret??

Just now, Weezer said:

Speaking of being old, i did some research on the Templars years ago, but have forgotten most of what I learned. 

While typing this I Googled the purpose of the Templars.  Very interesting.  It says the Catholic church used them for 200? years, but eventually  disbanded them and burned the last one of them at stake.  Perhaps some of them continued in secret??

The series goes into their history. It's really fascinating and even connects the Templars to Atlantis. It's worth the free trial (7 days free) if you want to watch it on Amazon. But don't try watching it at night! 😉

• Haha 1