Goodbye Jesus

What Is Canada Like?

NoOne

I spent my honeymoon on Prince Edward Island, and my wife and I loved it so much we went back for another week a couple of years later. Both times we rented a cottage on the southern coast. Driving through the Maritime provinces was beautiful.

We both loved the seafood chowder; I loved the mussels. The whole island seemed pretty laid back, which is my speed when I'm on vacation. Charlottetown was a nice little city to walk around (I tend to like smaller cities, like Savannah, Charleston, Portland (Maine), etc., because they have stuff to do without having that frenetic feel that New York City has). If I could get a job there, I could totally see myself living in the Maritimes.

When my mom and her family immigrated from the Old Country in the 1920's, they went to Canada, where they stayed for a few years.  I have no idea of the timeline.  My mom said her dad had a job on the railroad back then, but it was too cold so they moved to Pittsburgh where they had some other family that had immigrated and my grandpa worked for a steel company.  I said, "Pittsburgh?  It's cold here, too!"  My mom just looked at me and said, "You haven't spent a winter in Canada."  

My mom said Canada was much cleaner than the US, and the few times I've been there I find that to be true.  She never had anything bad to say about Canada.  

so as promised, my review on vancouver.

Weather

warmest in the country, instead of snow, you will have rain most of the time and snowing less than a week the whole winter (except in the mountain of course). Last winter, not even a single day with snow in the city.

However, don't think it is that warm, last winter we reached -15C on the coldest day (which of course the warmest compare to other area)

Religion

non-religious is the biggest demographic in BC, so basically religious talk is rare and not so serious.

Economy

well the job opportunity is not that much here since this is a smaller city compared with Toronto

Tax are insanely high here, our HST is 12%

gas taxed is about 30-40%

government monopoly everything from water, electricity, public transport and insurance.

Car insurance will cost you 3 times of what other province will charge you for similar coverage, and they increase the rate every year

public transport (bus and MRT) is also quiet expensive, the ferry keep loosing money and need to be heavily subsidized from tax

parking is also expensive here unless you are in suburb area

Traffic

Traffic is really bad since we have a lot of bridges (whcih means bottlenecks) and some of them are old and do not have more than 2 lanes to accommodate traffic

Vancouver drivers are not the most discipline and cops rarely does not really do anything except if you cross the line, like doing 100 in 50 zone, or dui. Doing 60-70 in 50? oh you're good tongue.png

Food

Lovely around the world foods are available here thanks to our multicultural society

and since food industry is regulated more than US, restaurant cannot just sell insanely 2000 calories per portion food. Also, I rarely see obese or morbidly obese people here unlike when I across to US tongue.png

Activities

You love nature and outdoor activities? great!! welcome to beautiful british columbia

We are near the water and mountain as well

a lot of attractions and things to do for both winter and summer

• Like 1