Goodbye Jesus

Passover Vs Day Of Atonement

Kris

I am still going over the crucifixion and something came to my mind--- if the purpose of Jesus dying was to atone for our sins, why wasn't he crucified during the Day of Atonement instead of Passover?

• Like 1

1491736_608957302485339_1949999354_n.jpg

The same god doing the same thing, 5th cen. BCE.

"The Etruscan sun god Usil dashes across breaking waves."

1470006_608973689150367_2056849236_n.jpg

The part of the myth that reflects Jesus as playing the role of the sun god, firmly fixes the cruci-fiction to the solstice and equinox. The same sun God that appears to walk on water also appears to die and rise at the solstice and triumph over darkess at the equinox. 

• Like 3

The gospel myth-writers didn't think that one through very well. They were trying to combine Greek myth with Hebrew myth.... They did a good job overall.
But yeah, had they been hardcore Jews, they would have known that Yom Kippur would be a better date for the crucifixion, as an Jesus atonement. Passover has nothing to do with atonement or sin covering. The lambs blood was just a sign for the death angel, an arbitrary sign that the blood-thirsty, Hebrew god of death and sacrifice required as a sign of those that were loyal to him. Since the Hebrews were all sheep-herders, a lamb was the obvious easily accessible sacrifice. Plus, lamb tastes really good toasted on a fire.... So it became a cool holiday.

I wonder why the Christians didn't roast and eat the lamb of god? Since the Jews were required to roast and eat the Passover lamb?ukliam2.gif

Inconsistent, as usual with bible myths.

• Like 1

I am still going over the crucifixion and something came to my mind--- if the purpose of Jesus dying was to atone for our sins, why wasn't he crucified during the Day of Atonement instead of Passover?

The writer of Hebrews may have believed that Christ was crucified during the Day of Atonement. It's difficult to read chapters 8 & 9 without making that connection. The gospel writers probably did not have the same theology of atonement that Paul did with his notion of reconciliation (though he does connect the Passover to Christ in 1 Corinthians) and the writer of Hebrews. While the gospel writers all link Jesus to the Passover, John diverts from the synoptics and makes the most direct connection, depicting him being crucified at the same time the lambs were being slaughtered. Conversely the synoptics have him take part in the Passover meal with his disciples the night before his death.

Because of these divergent views within the NT itself, Christians have argued about the nature of the atonement for centuries and continue to argue about it to this day, so you're likely to get a different answer for why the crucifixion didn't occur on Yom Kippur from each of the major views of the atonement . 

I don't know that there was a purpose in Jesus' death - much less to consider it an atonement for sins. There is a huge disconnect between the Jewish idea of atonement and the Christian idea of atonement. Even Judaism has two different ideas about atonement. Moses instituted an elaborate system of animal sacrifices which were supposed to bring atonement with God, while if you read Isaiah 1, for example, God finds all these sacrifices to be wearisome and He simply wishes the people would live proper lives. Neither system has anything to do with a human sacrifice.

Joshpantera and Pawn both talk about older mythologies than Christianity. Mithras is another godman ( or demigod )  who was born at winter solstice and resurrected at the spring equinox. Christianity is nothing more than a repackaging of older religions that was somehow bolted onto the side of Judaism. When Christianity is studied along side of Judaism and the other religions that existed earlier and also at that time, the whole thing completely falls apart. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I had always understood it to be a parallel between the blood of jesus and the blood of the lamb smeared on the doorposts.  Both were representative of salvation from death.  Also, according to the christ myth, jesus was to lead us out of the bondage of sin, just as Moses led the Hebrews out of Egypt on the night of the Pass Over.

I had always understood it to be a parallel between the blood of jesus and the blood of the lamb smeared on the doorposts.  Both were representative of salvation from death.  Also, according to the christ myth, jesus was to lead us out of the bondage of sin, just as Moses led the Hebrews out of Egypt on the night of the Pass Over.

That is the common teaching.  But looking at Jesus as an atonement for our sins, as Paul and his NT cohorts claim, makes it seem like Yom Kippur would be a better fit.

It's a case of Christianity creating a hybrid event, one that appeals to their theological fantasies.

On the Day of Atonement (Lev 16), the scape goat is released into the wilderness and not killed by the priests.

Passover is not a sin sacrifice nor is there a singular lamb/goat involved.

Each household supplies their own animal, which is roasted and eaten.

The sacrifice of Jesus cannot atone for anything because it meets none of the requirements of the law for a valid sin sacrifice.

Christianity, with all of its bizarre beliefs, traditions, inconsistencies, and contradictions will never make sense until it is understood and accepted as a man made religion that is based on myths, legends, and folklore. Myths and legends aren’t supposed to make sense. In this case naïve and gullible people have been convinced these particular myths are the basis for a supernaturally created religion.

• Like 2

I always thought that the connection between Passover and Jesus'is that the lamb's blood (representing

Jesus' sacrifice)would be painted on the door of the homes of the Jews which would allow god

to "pass over" the first born son in those homes. Of course, the symbolism was that the blood on the

front door represented those who accepted Jesus; those who did not were those who rejected Jesus'

sacrifice and would die (go to hell).

I admit I could very well be wrong. Nor do I say it is a perfect analogy, but that's how I put it

together. bill

I always thought that the connection between Passover and Jesus'is that the lamb's blood (representing

Jesus' sacrifice)would be painted on the door of the homes of the Jews which would allow god

to "pass over" the first born son in those homes. Of course, the symbolism was that the blood on the

front door represented those who accepted Jesus; those who did not were those who rejected Jesus'

sacrifice and would die (god to hell).

I admit I could very well be wrong. Nor do I say it is a perfect analogy, but that's how I put it

together. bill

Yeah but you could probably come up with a similar explanation if you had to reconcile it with Purim, with Succoth, with Rosh Hashanah or even any of the minor Jewish holidays. 

• Super Moderator

That is the common teaching.  But looking at Jesus as an atonement for our sins, as Paul and his NT cohorts claim, makes it seem like Yom Kippur would be a better fit.

I didn't say it was logical; after all we are dealing with christian tradition.

As I recall the Day of Atonement and the Day of Judgment are the same day according to (some) Jews (I'm not sure how ancient Jews perceived this exactly but it was probably similar).  So anything that needed to be done would certainly have to happen during that period and before the beginning of the next era (assuming an "end of days" scenario the revolution of time would end at the judgment, or some time shortly afterward, and the next "golden" era, a return to the paradise at the beginning of time, would just continue on and on).

mwc

Well, practically speaking, Christians don't adhere to ALL the little rules and regulations of Judaism because... let's just say that you can live without pork, but as far as converting people goes...

Circumcision - Anaesthesia = Dealbreaker

So much of it just comes down to what would make it easiest for people to join. Doing away with all the restrictions, and absorbing traditions and Gods and whatnot is what made it possible for Christianity to spread. There's no "reason" for any of it, aside from that.

Now that we're in the Christmas spirit, and on that very note of absorbing traditions and Gods...

<sarcasm> Nothing says "baby Jesus" like a mare's skull on a stick on a pub crawl. </sarcasm> Completely awesome, IMHO. Now I want to go to Wales for Christmas, and see that.

I would think that the writer of Mark wanted to bring Jesus into Jerusalem to be rejected by the leaders of the Jews.  The narrative reaches a climax in Jesus' entry on a donkey, acclaimed by crowds, and then the events of the week leading up to Passover.  Would people have come to Jerusalem in early autumn for Yom Kippur in the same way?

Anyhow, I would think that the Passover connection was important for the writer of Mark.  Isn't the emphasis more on the messiah's coming and rejection in Mark than it is on the blood atonement idea, which may be either later or at least from a different branch of thinking in the cult?

• Super Moderator

I didn't say it was logical; after all we are dealing with christian tradition.

Also, I was given to understand that the sacrificing of the Passover lamb was a very important custom, which dovetails quite nicely with the idea that jesus, the lamb of god, was sacrificed for our sins.  

Incidentally, Lamb of God is an awesome metal band.

I still think the disciples should have roasted and eaten Jesus to make it more like Passover. I guess the "last supper" is close enough.

John had Jesus crucified the day before Passover. The synoptics had Jesus crucified on the day after

Passover. biii

Very funny.  The authors of Exodus and Leviticus would have seen Paul and the author of Luke as false prophets, false teachers, idolaters and a target for murder and theft.  The way you combine these verses screams wishful thinking.  Yeah, it's the same type of crap we see from a standard Christian preacher but it's still tripe.

Oh and no part of part of the Bible ever says "Watch out because in 1973 Egypt and Syria will launch a surprise attack".  Modern Israel isn't a Biblical nation.  It's a secular democracy, not a monarchy.  The throne of David who's rein will never end came to an abrupt end thousands of years ago.

Very funny.  The authors of Exodus and Leviticus would have seen Paul and the author of Luke as false prophets, false teachers, idolaters and a target for murder and theft.  The way you combine these verses screams wishful thinking.  Yeah, it's the same type of crap we see from a standard Christian preacher but it's still tripe.

Oh and no part of part of the Bible ever says "Watch out because in 1973 Egypt and Syria will launch a surprise attack".  Modern Israel isn't a Biblical nation.  It's a secular democracy, not a monarchy.  The throne of David who's rein will never end came to an abrupt end thousands of years ago.

No, Paul and the Gospels agreed with everything that was written in the Torah.  There was no divide and differences.  Of course, no matter how it is packaged and the dots connected from the Tanakh to the Gospels and the Epistles, you will scream wishful thinking anyways.

Modern Israel was prophecied to return thousands of years ago.  Again, I could point out the copious amount of passages that speak to that, but again, you do not wish to hear that. 

And you know the scepter will never depart from David.  Thank God for Jesus.

You are delusional.  I can cite objective evidence to support my position.  You deny Bible verses that do not fit your private religious interpretation.  Well uh, you have to understand the original language/customs/culture/hardness of heart/suborn people.

The author of James didn't even agree with Paul.  These guys would call each other false apostles and they called each other's dogma "false gospel".  Well of course James wasn't written for at least a hundred years after Paul was dead but Paul was ranting about pre-runners who were giving him competition and making his religious scam difficult.

If I form a new country and choose to name it "Babylon" that doesn't mean it is the return of ancient Babylon.  Same thing with Israel.  If you make a nation you can name it anything you want.  There is no king over modern Israel.  This king that doesn't exist doesn't sit on a throne that no longer exists and doesn't hold a scepter that no longer exists.  That stuff turned to dust eons ago.

• Like 1

Passover is characterized by the 4 cups during a traditional seder.

THE FOUR CUPS

Exodus 6:6,7 Therefore say to the sons of Israel, I am Jehovah, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rescue you out of their bondage. And I will redeem you with a stretched-out arm, and with great judgments. And I will take you to Me for a people, and I will be to you a God.

Lk 22:17,20 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

The 1st cup is the Cup of Sanctification: “I will bring you out from under the burdens” Symbolizing how the Lord has freed us from the yoke of burdens and cares of this world. He wants to take our burdens.

Exodus 4:22,23 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn: And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

We can’t serve two masters.

God choose them, separated them while they were still in Egypt.

The 2nd cup is the Cup of Deliverance: “I will rescue you out of their bondage”  The Lord not only lifted off the yoke but also broke the chains that tie us to the world.

Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Their loads been removed. Their ankle chains are broken. But they are not free till God pays their redemption price.

The 3rd cup is the Cup of Redemption “I will redeem you with an outstretched arm”

Jeremiah 32:17 Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm,

What price was paid for the creation of the universe?  It cost nothing at all.

Redemption took the same extension of God’s power but at a much greater cost!! 

The 4th cup is the Cup of Acceptance: “I will take you to me”  The fact that God paid a great price for you should let you know He treasures you.

Ephesians 1:4-7 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Now that a people have been redeemed and called out to be his own, then and only then, can the yearly Yom Kippur ceremony be observed that takes away the sins of the nation as a whole. 

Leviticus 16:16,17 And he shall make an atonement for the holy place, because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins: and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation, that remaineth among them in the midst of their uncleanness. And there shall be no man in the tabernacle of the congregation when he goeth in to make an atonement in the holy place, until he come out, and have made an atonement for himself, and for his household, and for all the congregation of Israel.

Jeremiah 31:31-36 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever. Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

This is speaking of a future Yom Kippur event.

Israel had to of first been redeemed before they could have their sins atoned for,

Nice shootin' there, Tex.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

THE FOUR CUPS

Exodus 6:6,7 Therefore say to the sons of Israel, I am Jehovah, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rescue you out of their bondage. And I will redeem you with a stretched-out arm, and with great judgments. And I will take you to Me for a people, and I will be to you a God.

Lk 22:17,20 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

The 1st cup is the Cup of Sanctification: “I will bring you out from under the burdens” Symbolizing how the Lord has freed us from the yoke of burdens and cares of this world. He wants to take our burdens.

Exodus 4:22,23 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn: And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

The 2nd cup is the Cup of Deliverance: “I will rescue you out of their bondage”  The Lord not only lifted off the yoke but also broke the chains that tie us to the world.

Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Their loads been removed. Their ankle chains are broken. But they are not free till God pays their redemption price.

The 3rd cup is the Cup of Redemption “I will redeem you with an outstretched arm”

Jeremiah 32:17 Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm,

The 4th cup is the Cup of Acceptance: “I will take you to me”  The fact that God paid a great price for you should let you know He treasures you.

Ephesians 1:4-7 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Now that a people have been redeemed and called out to be his own, then and only then, can the yearly Yom Kippur ceremony be observed that takes away the sins of the nation as a whole. 

Leviticus 16:16,17 And he shall make an atonement for the holy place, because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins: and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation, that remaineth among them in the midst of their uncleanness. And there shall be no man in the tabernacle of the congregation when he goeth in to make an atonement in the holy place, until he come out, and have made an atonement for himself, and for his household, and for all the congregation of Israel.

Jeremiah 31:31-36 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever. Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

Israel had to of first been redeemed before they could have their sins atoned for,

You're gonna miss me when I'm gone.

• Super Moderator

THE FOUR CUPS

You're gonna miss me when I'm gone.

You're gonna get raptured?

I was alluding to that annoying song from Pitch Perfect, the one about the Cups.

But an amazing thing is and has been happening is you have Jews who want to and are being drawn back to their country of origin after being exiled for almost 2000 years!!!  That is remarkable, and almost unthinkable.  Only God could orchestrate something like that. 

So only a god can make this happen? Humans have nothing to do with it whatsoever?

No James and Paul agreed with each other cause they wrote in agreement to the rest of scripture. 

Start thinking for yourself and you will find that Paul preached overthrowing of the law in favor of Grace due to a human sacrifice (what a hideous thing to the Jews!) but the author of James (who we can't identify - perhaps a grandson or great grandson of James?) preached works over grace.  But you have had a lifetime of brainwashing by pastors and Bible study teachers.  It takes a while to work past that.

The thing with Israel is, have you ever heard like a third generation Irish person want to go make aliya back to Ireland?  Or someone else whose family immigrated to lets say the America's, and want to go back to their original country of origin?  No, usually and typically not.  But an amazing thing is and has been happening is you have Jews who want to and are being drawn back to their country of origin after being exiled for almost 2000 years!!!  That is remarkable, and almost unthinkable.  Only God could orchestrate something like that. 

The people who created Israel in 1948 were Europeans.  The descendants of Israelites were the Palestinians who were displaced and kicked off their land.  Only Rapegod could orchestrate the non stop bloodshed and conflict that has rocked the region ever since.  That is unless your Biblical Rapegod is a figure of the imagination and all that political and religious crap is random nonsense.  Let's all cheer for the pointless wars and the senseless loss of life.  It's a Biblical miracle.

Forming Israel is one of the worst political mistakes since World War II.  There was some genocide that was worse but creating Israel ranks among the top five for that period of history.

The promise to gather Israel is repeated often in the prophecies of New Covenant (Deuteronomy 30:1-6, Jeremiah 23:1-8, Jeremiah 32:37-41, Ezekiel 11:16-20, Ezekiel 36:16-28). Though Israel was scattered to the nations, they shall remember Me in far countries and come back to the land.

Those verses refer to Ezra's return to Israel.  They were put in the Bible by Ezra to prove that what Ezra was doing was special.  Ezra made Ezra's god say it so it must be special.  The modern interpretation you spout is wishful thinking.

• Like 2