Goodbye Jesus

Why Do People Re-Convert?

chrisstavrous

I recently watched an interesting video that dissects the emotional issues tied to belief and the problems a believer faces when facing disbelief: 

The Real God: An Epiphany

This could well tie in to why some people gravitate back towards belief for strictly emotional, possibly sub-conscious reasons. But once again, I think that straight forward intellectual honesty is the only way to trump the emotional gravity pulling one towards the flock of sheeple....

^^^Joshpantera -- wow!  That raises some extremely interesting points.

Like the xians say:  "it's not a religion,  it's a relationship."  So when you reject god, you are rejecting them to their very core.

And the video makes a good point -- I do not REJECT god, I am simply skeptical or his existence, or don't think he exists.  It would only be rejection if I thought he was something real to reject.  Like I don't REJECT Santa Claus.  But xianity sets it up to be a relationship and something personal.

Weird!

This is a great topic, and I like all the responses. 

I think Florduh has it right: once you leave for intellectual reasons, you can't go back. You've seen that it's not true, and rejected it. It's done. 

Well, short of brain damage. 

However, if you're in the process of leaving, you might go back and forth a bit before you finish the journey. I didn't leave out of rebellion; I left because it wasn't making sense and I started to question everything. It took me some time and research to dig up my answers. My own journey was slow and private. I didn't discuss it with my family (not much anyway.) I just quietly pursued knowledge with books and documentaries and science programs and museums and internet searches. I considered it a personal quest. Meanwhile, I would attend church sometimes with my parents (in my early 20s) and engage in discussions and read my Bible and listen thoughtfully to the preacher. 

I think there are so many pieces to work through though, it's like examining and taking out puzzle pieces one by one until the whole thing is disassembled and replaced with something else you're sure of. Some people go back and forth during their quest while they still have some original religious puzzle pieces left. Some get afraid to keep pursuing the journey, realizing what they'll lose, so they halt the process and try to shut it down or go back. Sometimes they find their courage and pick the quest up again and keep going forward. Some people keep their pursuit private until they're sure of the new evidence / knowledge they've found. Some go through Christian motions (still tithe and go to church with their family) even though they don't believe anymore. 

It's different for everyone. I'm grateful I'm all the way out. I confronted and examined each piece, every spiritual assumption, until they all were all gone, replaced with true knowledge based on facts and evidence instead of a belief based on ancient and outdated mythology, Biblical superstitions, religious traditions, denominational assumptions, feelings, and family / community pressures. Once you're all the way out (each belief replaced with facts), you can't ever truly go back. You know too much. You can't return to naivety and ignorance. 

But of course family ties and community are strong. Some will try to use persuasion and guilt to pull you back. It won't work to change your mind, because you know you're right and they're wrong, so it'll just make you feel sad and alienated. On the other hand, there are new friends and communities to build, and this community here at ex-C has been really wonderful to me. 

I'm grateful all of you are here. 

• Like 1

This is an interesting discussion!

I accept the rational explanation that when one understands that the bible is nonsense, it should be impossible to return to belief.  However I also think that people don’t always act and behave as a result of arguments and logic.  As emotional beings we often act based on our convictions, instincts & feelings. 

I would guess that many folks who converted in the first place likely did so based on an emotional response and are familiar with what it takes to maintain belief – denial of other views and blind trust no matter what.  I could imagine similar emotional decisions taking people back.  And thereafter the whole faith mentality takes over and that doesn’t allow any room for logic.  Agree with what others have said though that there should likely be some catalyst to provoke such a big direction change.  

It's an addiction. It's the same reason why drug addicts might return to drugs or alcoholics to alcohol. And then of course there's the fear of Hell and being shunned by family and friends.

• Like 1