Goodbye Jesus

A Bit About Yourself

CDFree

I'm a wee bit wary of revealing enough to get spotted, but I'll give a bit away, it's always a good thing to be able to form a bit of a picture of who you're dialoguing with online.

The story in my extimony fleshes out quite a bit, but here's some other data...I'm 49 years old, and have been married for 17 years to a girl who was a single mum of an eight year old when I met her. we bought a wartime era small house ten years back which we could not get now. I've been working in hitech for 13 years, but have quite the working past which includes such things as salmon farming, forestry work (Tree planting, slashburning, forest fire lookout tower, cone picking), construction (floorlaying, framing, stair manufacture, kitchen cabinet installation) and all sorts of other stuff... I've done a great deal of budget world travel including into some pretty "out there" places. (before getting married that is...), Pakistan, Nepal, India, Guatemala, Turkey etc etc.

I'm now a grandfather to two great little kids, and I have several hobbies, most prominent of which is the riding, repair and restoration of classic and vintage British motorcycles. I also love steam locomotives, (Had tons of HO scale stuff a while ago but the empire was too ambitious to build...) piston engined fighter aircraft from the World Wars, and military history. (built models for years and years) I used to rock climb quite a bit, and have in the past done a fair bit of scuba diving. I love hiking in wilderness areas, although I haven't done any for a while... I've been doing road trips to rallies on the ole Norton instead... I enjoy reading fantasy novels (Faves: Tolkien, CS Lewis, Mervyn Peake, Charles DeLint, Robert Holdstock, John Crowley, Charles Williams, George MacDonald... the writings of the Inklings circle at Oxford [Lewis, Tolkien & Williams] were influential in both my Xtianity but also in my appreciation of mythopoeic fantasy but now I'd like to broaden my scope in that area) and stories about arctic exploration and mountaineering. Natural history and archaeology, anthropology and philosophy are all interesting subjects to me. Celtic art and music I find fascinating, and I enjoy few things more than sitting in a sunny spot and drinking fine craft brewed ales and eating good food.

Aston Villa Football Club is my religion, and Villa Park is my church... Up The Villa, Go You Lions!!!!!!

My wife and I had two gorgeous lovable kitties until this year when they both tragically departed after 13 years or so, we are still recovering from this massive loss to our family (Spanky died only four days ago) and we love all cats, and animals in general.That's enough for now, probably giving too much away but there ya go...

• Like 1

I AM:

Funny

Clumsy

Loving

Irreverent

Friendly

Talkative

Inquisitive

Observing

ADD

Creative

Tall

Brunette

American

Humanist

Mommy

Wife

Something Else

• Like 1

I AM:

Funny

Clumsy

Loving

Irreverent

Friendly

Talkative

Inquisitive

Observing

ADD

Creative

Tall

Brunette

American

Humanist

Mommy

Wife

Something Else

I woulda pegged you as a blonde.

You were at one time tho, amiright??

I AM:

Funny

Clumsy

Loving

Irreverent

Friendly

Talkative

Inquisitive

Observing

ADD

Creative

Tall

Brunette

American

Humanist

Mommy

Wife

Something Else

I woulda pegged you as a blonde.

You were at one time tho, amiright??

Nope! I sound dumb, huh? I do have some highlights, but I have dark brown hair.

Not dumb, just "bubbly". :)

Ugh

I will say this tho- you're way too smart to be a blonde.

Ugh

Ugh

I was kidding, let's not offend every blonde on the board. LOL

Ugh

I was kidding, let's not offend every blonde on the board. LOL

I'm blondeish, so it was a self deprecating moment.

• Super Moderator

I like walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

As fun as that is, what takes up the most time are interests in motorcycling, photography and ham radio. Used to do mentalism.

• Like 2

Well, I love watching anime and reading manga and visual novels. Though, at the moment, I'm a bit burned out on all of those. I'm perpetually getting super interested and then getting distracted/disinterested in them since I became a fan. I collect anime and manga, but I don't have anything impressive aside from my Puella Magi Madoka Magica limited edition box sets which cost A LOT of money.

I love the band called Chevelle. Even if all the band members are Christian... They don't have a song that I don't like and I love Peter's voice.

Another interest of mine is reading mystery novels, though I'm a bit of a novice in terms of how many adult mysteries I've actually read. As a young lad I read a lot of Encyclopedia Brown, Jigsaw Jones, ABC Mysteries and whatnot. Recently I've been trying to get through Agatha Christie's novels. They always have an interesting twist.

When I was younger an idol of mine was Artemis Fowl, from the book series Artemis Fowl. Though I hardly remember him now.

I've just now realized that I read a HUGE amount of books when I was younger. Interestingly, I don't think I ever finished Harry Potter(last book), A Series of Unfortunate Events(11th book), Eragon(half the second book), or Artemis Fowl(not sure). I think I have a problem...

I love, or at least used to love, playing tennis. I'm taking a break right now because of motivation issues due to an injury I had a while back. I haven't played the same since that injury. I still love watching tennis though.

I hope to one day become a scientist of some sort. Probably in something chemistry related.

I think that's it...

• Like 1

We can start an Ex-C orchestra at this rate lol biggrin.png

Or our very own publishing company, judging from the number of readers and writers.

• Like 1

Motorcycling is my favorite thing to do, but I need a bigger bike lol. I have one in mind, and I want it so much I'm selling my car, a Fender bass and my current bike so I can buy it :D

My favorite food is ice cream, I buy it so I can't get in trouble for eating it all haha. I like music and if I like a song enough I teach myself to play it (I play bass). I play by ear, can't read music.

I like watching educational stuff and doing my own research on things. I hate the media so I stay away from newspapers and rarely watch the news. That's all I'm going to tell you for now, nur nur! :lol:

• Like 1

- part time events artist (face painting, balloon twisting, etc)

- full time masters student starting in Sep (Animation!)

- I love drawing, reading and movies.

- Introverted, but finding I'm becoming more extroverted as I get older. Happiest with friends and family.

- Ex-c since Winter, getting to the 'angry' phase now.

- Still pondering life and all the deep philosophical stuff... :D

• Like 1

*runs*

Wait, is that a good "runs" or a bad "runs"? wink.png

That was very lovely music! I love this place. I learn something new here every day. I played music as a child and did okay at it, but it's so daunting to learn it as an adult. I admire folks like you and Valk who can just do that.

Given your self stated kitchen disasters.....

Another cookbook I'd recommend. Haven't gotten it yet but the whole premise is just exciting.

So I have to ask....What engineering disaster did you create that is now studied?

That looks like a neat cookbook! I don't have many disasters, really :) I've set boiling pasta on fire, turned Cream of Wheat into a solid, discovered why toasters have "pastry" settings, forgotten I was defrosting ground beef in the nukerwave during finals week... you know, the standard stuff everybody does. This particular time, though, I wrote a column once about what happened with some well-meaning mistakes I made with a fudge recipe (pro-tip: don't ever experiment with fudge recipes). Instead of fudge, I got something that looked like maple sugar but which had to be chipped out of my good saucepan with, I fucking kid you not, a chisel and hammer. A guy who designs bridges and skyscrapers and was constantly pissed off by his contractors wanting to substitute different strengths of concrete and stuff like that wanted to use the story as a cautionary tale. He wanted to make up goodie bags for them, one containing the real recipe's ingredients and directions, and one containing the mistakes I'd made, and make the contractors make up both batches of fudge to see why it's a very bad thing to fuck around with precise chemistry and engineering directions. I told him to at least warn them not to use the good saucepans.

• Like 3

I am a big fellow, a little under 6'2'' and about 230 pounds. I have long gray and brown hair that I don't spend a lot of time on. I wear a cotton beret to keep it in check. I don't shave once school lets out, so I'm quite scruffy at the present. My beard is mostly gray. I wear glasses except at the lake, at the beach, and in the mountains. At those times contact lenses seem more practical.

I teach English at a moderately rural high school. The kids are mostly white and "country". I like them, and they like me. Education is one of my main interests as well as my profession.

I like beer. I brew my own and drink lots of microbrews and imports. I particularly like Liberty Ale and Fuller's ESB. I play darts, and I am quite competitive at it. When I draw a decent partner in the blind draws, I often win the tournament. When I draw a poor partner, I rarely win. Either way I have fun. I like music and parties and books and hammocks.

I have been married for almost 21 years. I have two daughters, 16 and 14. We live in a pretty stone house with arched doorways and a roomy porch. We have a big back yard with a flagstone patio, a treehouse, and lots of trees. I drive a Toyota Tacoma.

I guess that is more than "a bit". Wendywhatever.gif

• Like 1

That looks like a neat cookbook! I don't have many disasters, really smile.png I've set boiling pasta on fire, turned Cream of Wheat into a solid, discovered why toasters have "pastry" settings, forgotten I was defrosting ground beef in the nukerwave during finals week... you know, the standard stuff everybody does. This particular time, though, I wrote a column once about what happened with some well-meaning mistakes I made with a fudge recipe (pro-tip: don't ever experiment with fudge recipes). Instead of fudge, I got something that looked like maple sugar but which had to be chipped out of my good saucepan with, I fucking kid you not, a chisel and hammer. A guy who designs bridges and skyscrapers and was constantly pissed off by his contractors wanting to substitute different strengths of concrete and stuff like that wanted to use the story as a cautionary tale. He wanted to make up goodie bags for them, one containing the real recipe's ingredients and directions, and one containing the mistakes I'd made, and make the contractors make up both batches of fudge to see why it's a very bad thing to fuck around with precise chemistry and engineering directions. I told him to at least warn them not to use the good saucepans.

That was AWESOME !!!!!!!58.gif

• 1 month later...

I love my dogs -- have been involved in showing, training and obedience trials for 15+ years. Have bred a few litters and love the babies! I think it's the maternal/nurturing side of me. Aside from this I hate the dogshow mentality of showing dogs to boost ones own ego and status. I take time with each one and wouldn't send them off with a handler. I actually enjoy walking trails with them off leash and how they interact/play and enjoy swimming more than anything. I am also a graphic artist and enjoy creating things - but more with digital /computer graphics and photos. I also enjoy singing and playing keyboard or guitar altho since deconverting it has been difficult to find what I really want to sing now.

I love outdoor activities - camping, hiking, campfires and meaningful conversations.

• Like 1

Journey - that sounds just fascinating. I've been reading stuff lately about dogs' intelligence and it just floors me. They're a lot smarter than even I'd thought.