Goodbye Jesus

Number One Reason For Not Believing?

Kaiser01

the irreconcilabliity of Jesus with the tyrant god of the Old Testament.

Agreed. The Bible is full of contradictions. But this is the biggy. It played on my mind through my years as a Christian.

like a trojan horse of doubt.

Brilliant. Great mental imagery! (So true!!!)

I prefer the salmon of doubt.....smoked.....with a little pepper.

.With the click of keyboard buttons, we can see for ourselves that there is no possible way that an all-powerful god could be loving, or that a loving god could be all-powerful.

Damn Internet. Wrecks everything! lol

What the internet does do is to give to the people more information than would have been available before. Of course, we need to think to seperate the good stuff from the bullshit. But when questions, come, with the internet, can better research all sides.

I feel so guilty for writing this, but I've made up my mind that I won't lie to myself anymore. The main thing that shook my faith was my mother.

She is emotionally abusive and selfish, and yet is the most devout Christian/Conservative. She goes out with her Christian friends, listens to Christian music every day, does Bible studies... Then she comes home and screams at my father for nothing, calling him a "d*** head" and a "f*** face". She threatened me if I didn't do exactly what she said. If I disobeyed her, my life was a living hell... Always asking "What the Hell is wrong with you?" if I thought differently, or telling me plainly that she didn't care about my interests. The guilt tripping if I dared questioned her authority. The lying. Saying things like "Swearing is a sin and it makes me want to slap you!" The way she made me pretend to be a completely different person because I was afraid of her... It makes me angry.

Yet for the way my mom acts, she goes on judging other people. Gays, the school system, the Government... Her anger is everyone else's fault. "If you did X I wouldn't get so frustrated, and I wouldn't yell at you". This is a Christian woman? These lies and absolute HATRED for mankind? Why?! Her mother is the exact same.

If it's okay to treat people this way when you're a Christian... I mean things like saying a suicidally depressed goth kid has "devil eyes" and treating him like a freak when all he needs is to be loved because he is hurting inside... Then I'm done. I'm just so done. From what I've seen as well, the Christian community backs her up. They didn't do anything to help us growing up. She was always the one in the right!

I'm sorry... That turned into a huge rant. I feel so relieved though! I never admitted it before.

Melancholy, my heart just goes out to you. What a ghastly thing to have had to endure. No, your mother was not a good person. She might have been a very good Christian, but she was a terrible human being. You didn't deserve any of that treatment. Nothing you did would have made that cruelty and abuse okay. Many many hugs. I hope that you've gotten away from her and are getting whole again.

God is too much like a man for me to worship him. In fact, I've known lots of men more worthy of worship. And of course it makes no sense to believe in a god unworthy of worship. For that matter, I have a hard time imagining a god that would have any interest in being worshipped. It seems to me a god would be way beyond that.

The whole concept of worship is bizarre if you think about it outside the xian mindset. It's basically kissing someone/something's ass. A healthy individual feels uncomfortable when someone kisses his ass; it even pisses him off. Likewise, a healthy person doesn't kiss other's asses unless he's trying to get something, like a promotion. And even then, the guy doing it is considered an ass by all outside observers.

My number one reason? It's demonstrably not true. Need there be more?