Goodbye Jesus

Still Love Hymns

Noggy

I like a lot of old Southern spirituals still. Lots of good harmonies and such.

And Ave Maria is just plain pretty. Admit it. tongue.png

+1

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I never did like hymns. The only exceptions are "Amazing Grace" (no idea why) and like RS said, good ole bluegrass gospel music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75UeVLbkXeg

"God went and fucked that boy completely up and

Now he's married to a Presbyterian."

LOL!!!!!!!!!

And...

"When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there."

Or is it the tune for "Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there"?

The meter isn't right for any hymn I know but the tune is so familiar.

DEAR GAWD I TRULY WET MY PANTS!!!

I was totally NOT EXPECTING THAT..... that is the SINGLE MOST HYSTERICAL THING I HAVE SEEN IN RECORDED HISTORY.

I'm sharing that with EVERY.BODY.

Oh Jesus.....that was the BEEEEEEEST.

Thank you for sharing!!!

My favorite hymn, for its beautiful harmonies, is "The Church's One Foundation". The theology is not really up my alley tongue.png but the music is so nice. I found a link on YouTube....although it's kind of a bad recording, you get the idea.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=molBcp8S_Ng

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! eek.gifeek.gif Clasps hands over ears & runs away from computerph34r.png .....not reallytongue.pngtongue.png

But hymns are too too triggering for me...I guess I hate them. BUT...the Catholic hymns & music don't bother me so much because

no bad memories really. but the hymns I sang in the Baptist/Calvinist bible cult...toilet_claw.gif

I understand people liking them still...but I just can't go there.Wendytwitch.gif

I never did like hymns. The only exceptions are "Amazing Grace" (no idea why) and like RS said, good ole bluegrass gospel music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75UeVLbkXeg

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.giflmao_99.giflmao_99.giflmao_99.gif

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! eek.gifeek.gif Clasps hands over ears & runs away from computerph34r.png .....not reallytongue.pngtongue.png

But hymns are too too triggering for me...I guess I hate them. BUT...the Catholic hymns & music don't bother me so much because

no bad memories really. but the hymns I sang in the Baptist/Calvinist bible cult...toilet_claw.gif

I understand people liking them still...but I just can't go there.Wendytwitch.gif

LOL!!! Sorry to have pushed you over the edge! Eek! Hymns aren't a real trigger for me because they are from my pre-fundy days and I can view them more objectively I guess. I participated in a family sing-along (hymns only) at Christmas time, and I sang with gusto even though I view the whole thing as a myth.

BUT. Anything Vineyard-esque would have me *exactly* where you are. Those type of songs truly send me over the edge!

Ack!

• Like 1

I used to hate the hymn "Breathe On Me Breath of God". Even as a child, I *hated* being breathed on and I despised halitosis!

Now, as a cohabiter of canines, I sometimes sing "Breathe On Me Breath of Dog".....lol

• Like 2

Here's a re-interpretation of one of my favorite spirituals. Not exactly a hymn, but it's a very traditional song from Appalachia, and was first transcribed by a baptist preacher. Still, I loves it.

I like a lot of old Southern spirituals still. Lots of good harmonies and such.

And Ave Maria is just plain pretty. Admit it. tongue.png

Yeah, black gospel is in a whole other category to the white washed, humorless, stiff upper lip WASP music I was subjected to growing up. And Ave Maria is one of the most beautiful songs of our time IMO.

The church I went to sang really old hymns. I remember paging through the book- it would name the author, the date it was written, and maybe a little bit about them. Most were from the 1700's and 1800's. Matter of fact, when I watched the Hatfields & McCoys the other day, I recognized the hymn they were singing in church as one that was sung at my church when I was a kid.

Wesleyans are a backward and miserable bunch. Time marches on without them- and lots of their traditions are still stuck in the 19th century. IMO it's only a lack of ambition that keeps them from being considered a cult.

I hate sticky syrupy hymns, though I secretly hum "Pass it On" when no one is listening. The other day I was listening to Bach's Wachet Auf, and the opening chorale is so glorious that it made me think, this has to be like what it sounds like in heaven. There are lots of great hymns. I was lucky enough to go to a Catholic parish that had excellent music, and the congregation sang great hymn standards, not Father Bob/ guitar mass type stuff.

I liked some of the hymns but most I hated. I still like some of them for nostalgic reasons but the words are meaningless now.

I do like other religious music though. Songs like "Mary did you know" give me chills.

ISTL

Guest Xtech

I love some of them too and sing them with my patients, if that is what they want. Then again I don't have the baggage a lot of you all do. But to me the feelings in hymns are about universal themes, love, redemption, inspiration, devotion, awe and wonder, joy ... I cannot criticize, people not that long ago knew of nothing but what religions told them.

Amazing Grace is an amazing song, it is beyond language! Though the story is the narrative of transformation. It totally applies in a secular world.

In the same way that I dance in vodun ceremonies, and love to listen to qawwali ( Pakistani songs of love and celebration of god, of all that is good, and of drinking ;-) ) I love the Christian hymns. They are after all part of my heritage too and I won't be cut off from that.

The other day I was listening to Bach's Wachet Auf, and the opening chorale is so glorious that it made me think, this has to be like what it sounds like in heaven. There are lots of great hymns. I was lucky enough to go to a Catholic parish that had excellent music, and the congregation sang great hymn standards, not Father Bob/ guitar mass type stuff.

I too was brought up with the really good hymns and great music (until I left to go to the charismatic church... WendyDoh.gif ).

I absolutely LOVE Bach. I love it all, especially the cantatas. I could never give up my classical and renaissance religious music!!!!!

The other day I was listening to Bach's Wachet Auf, and the opening chorale is so glorious that it made me think, this has to be like what it sounds like in heaven. There are lots of great hymns. I was lucky enough to go to a Catholic parish that had excellent music, and the congregation sang great hymn standards, not Father Bob/ guitar mass type stuff.

I too was brought up with the really good hymns and great music (until I left to go to the charismatic church... WendyDoh.gif ).

I absolutely LOVE Bach. I love it all, especially the cantatas. I could never give up my classical and renaissance religious music!!!!!

In a similar vein, Handel's Messiah. Who doesn't love the Hallelujah Chorus. Simple yet powerful. And as a 5th grader I learned the lyrics.

I have never really liked Ave Maria. But ever since they used it as the intro music to Hitman:Blood Money it makes me think i waking up on in the coffin stepping out and killing all mine enemies. :stupid video games:

EDIT: Also have to add Mozart's Requiem

EDIT: Also have to add Mozart's Requiem

OMG yes! I actually have a love of most requiems.......

Hmmm. I think I'll go listen to one right now.

I absolutely hate hymns, but I guess they're just not my kind of music. And with the whole "me being an atheist" thing the lyrics tend to really piss me off. But I guess I can understand other people still liking hymns.

• Like 1