Goodbye Jesus

Why Can't I Ever Keep Stuff Clean And Organized?!

SoftIce

Heh, I actually am a Hoarder, though I have been hoard free for three years now. I inherited the disorder from my mother and grandmother, and I grew up in a place that could have been featured on the show Hoarders.

So, learning to deal with my compulsive tendencies is an ongoing issue.

One important trick to managing clutter is before you do any cleaning at all, you take a moment to sit and think about what you want to use the space FOR. What are you creating space for in your life? What's important to you? What do you actually want in that space to take the place of the mounds of dusty, useless clutter that you don't want to look at or clean?

Believe it or not, this goes a long way in keeping areas clutter free because it becomes an unconscious "This doesn't go here" thought that keeps you from mindlessly putting stuff down in that space and not picking up again.

• Like 1

Another tip I learned that can really help you de-junk your life is...

DIGITAL CAMERA!

If you know an item is completely useless to you and you are having a really hard time getting rid of it, take a bunch of pictures of it and then donate or trash it (which ever is appropiate). You will still have the image of the item (for what ever reason you thought you needed it) but the actual space in your life and brain will be freed up.

Think of all of your stuff like a hard drive on a computer. Eventually it slooowwws down because it's full and you can't save anything anymore. The more you delete the faster it is. Same with life. More stuff slows you down. Cooking takes too long because you have to find all the ingredients. Having a limit keeps the cooking process quick and efficent. Like a ninja chef. ph34r.png

Anything you own should have a limit assigned to it. It really makes a difference. And using the one in one out rule can work wonders.

I wanted to echo what Kurari posted. If you designate a space for something it becomes part of your living space, part of your life. Most people don't live in their entire space, they live in a little amount of space and junk up the rest. It really does change your thinking when you decide that you are living in this space as opposed to storing things for the eventual nuclear war. :)

GOD FORBID I RUN OUT OF TWISTY TIES! The world will end!

That's why I always steal a whole bunch every time I go to the market. The produce guy probably wonders where they all go.

I hope you are not storing them all up like the chopsticks guy. ohmy.png

http://gowanuslounge...ck-storage.html

No so much anymore.

When I was a kid, I had an obsession with twist-ties probably because I learned how to build with them. I quickly learned that by sort of coiling them I could make them much stronger. I knew how to twist and fold them together so I could make things. I had drawers full of them. To me they were better than Legos and since they were free I never had to hold back. I had lots of fun with aluminum foil too.... I knew how to fold it, reinforce it, and tape it up to make origami boats that would actually float for awhile. Yes, I had a fucked up childhood but since my family was a bit on the poor side growing up I had to make my own fun.

When I was a kid, I had an obsession with twist-ties probably because I learned how to build with them. I quickly learned that by sort of coiling them I could make them much stronger. I knew how to twist and fold them together so I could make things. I had drawers full of them. To me they were better than Legos and since they were free I never had to hold back. I had lots of fun with aluminum foil too.... I knew how to fold it, reinforce it, and tape it up to make origami boats that would actually float for awhile. Yes, I had a fucked up childhood but since my family was a bit on the poor side growing up I had to make my own fun.

That is actually a super cool story. I think intelligence is stimulated by that. Imagine how boring you would be were you not forced to use your brain as a child. All that thinking and creativity actually pays off in adulthood. I look at it as an advantage instead of a disadvantage.

So if you're not related to the chopstick guy... are you related to MacGyver? :)

GOD FORBID I RUN OUT OF TWISTY TIES! The world will end!

That's why I always steal a whole bunch every time I go to the market. The produce guy probably wonders where they all go.

I hope you are not storing them all up like the chopsticks guy. ohmy.png

http://gowanuslounge...ck-storage.html

No so much anymore.

I thought I was the only one! I LOVED twist ties and pipe cleaners, and I would make dolls and things out of them and I had literally THOUSANDS.

Later in life, I won contests in doing fully posable wire sculptures. XD