Goodbye Jesus

Happiness - Are Religious People Happier Than Secular People?

Guest MadameX

Guest Xtech

I am less happy since deconverting, but "the truth hurts" as they say. It's been just under a year so perhaps this is to be expected. I accept evolution but I hate reading about it. I feel robbed of my ability to feel awe and wonder, that magicalness that I used to get from religion.

Oh wow, please study biology and astronomy (and sciences in general) and be out in nature if you want awe and wonder! Everything is holy now.

"A human being is part of the whole, called by us “Universe”; a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts, and feelings as something separated from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures, and the whole of nature in its beauty." - Albert Einstein

I am less happy since deconverting, but "the truth hurts" as they say. It's been just under a year so perhaps this is to be expected. I accept evolution but I hate reading about it. I feel robbed of my ability to feel awe and wonder, that magicalness that I used to get from religion.

Oh wow, please study biology and astronomy (and sciences in general) and be out in nature if you want awe and wonder! Everything is holy now.

"A human being is part of the whole, called by us “Universe”; a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts, and feelings as something separated from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures, and the whole of nature in its beauty." - Albert Einstein

The more explanation for things, the less awed I am. If I can see how something works, its no longer mysterious.

amen, brother.

I feel less happy, too. maybe because i can't "cast my cares" any longer, and feel like it's up to me to make the changes. so what in the hell am i supposed to do?!

living in a highly religious small town doesn't help, either.

I can't speak for others. I know I'm much happier as an atheist. As a Christian I always felt trapped, suffocating for not being able to be myself, to think and feel for myself. It was horrible. I love the freedom I have now.

See, this thread illustrates my point. Belief isn't a static variable that always makes someone happier. People are far more complex than that, and what may make one person happier may make another fearfully upset.

In the christian belief, I was miserable. I attempted suicide. It was bad. But I woke up from that, and saw it wasn't my true belief, it was one I was told. I started exploring my own mind, for real, and found what I actually believed. I still count myself as religious (others may call me "more spiritual", but whatever), and I'm happier than I was. I'm still a believer, just in something that fits me better.

For me, happiness is more about being true to myself - if a religion is a part of that, of course it makes me happy. But other things I do that express my authentic self also make me happy.

So, on top of the flawed variables that are used in these studies (religion = christianity, for example), human happiness varies from person to person. Others are probably made happy by things that are wildly different from what makes me happy. I'd venture to say that is absolutely true. We all have to find our own bliss, not what some news-fluff "study" says.

Eh I'm just a miserable bastard, religion or no.

Eh I'm just a miserable bastard, religion or no.

Exactly.

Everything is holy now.

Thank you for sharing this song! I was looking through the UUA.org website and this same video was on there. It caught my eye 'cause I remembered seeing it here. I watched it and couldn't believe how that song said just what I feel! Thanks again, Xtech!