Goodbye Jesus

Reflections On Thinking Of Trying “Church” Again….or Not

Positivist

I got interested in the UU church through talking to some people here too and so I checked out their UU dot org website. There isn't one near me as I live in a small town in Iowa and there isn't even a stoplight in town. There is a UU an hour+ away, but that's too far for me to go. So I thought I would sign up for their on-line community and check it out. I went to join, and first thing was you had to pay to join! That burned my butt and I yelled out: devilfinger.gif I don't mind paying for something once I know what it is like and that it is something I want to continue with and support, but having to pay to even give it a try was really shitty I thought!

Also, I noticed they said something about how they believe that everyone is born holy, but that a person has to save themselves through doing good things. I don't like the idea of anyone having to be saved. Saved from what?

Then I got to thinking about all those diverse groups and if my experience holds true, I imagined a lot of cliques forming.

I guess like you, Positivist, I'm going to have to do without a "church" to belong to. I think I would like it because it is an aid to getting me out of myself and thinking of the awe and grandeur of life and this universe. To think about "spiritual" things live love and compassion and kindness, gratitude, stuff like that. To be uplifted by words of wisdom. I wish I could find a place or a resource like that. Maybe I'll have to create a website like that! Hmm, now that's an idea! smile.png

To think about "spiritual" things live love and compassion and kindness, gratitude, stuff like that. To be uplifted by words of wisdom. I wish I could find a place or a resource like that. Maybe I'll have to create a website like that! Hmm, now that's an idea! smile.png

I think these places are all around us. I was at a second hand store and there was a gorgeous turquoise accordion for sale. A large middle age man with a bad combover and mis-aligned buttons was playing the most amazing music on it. The humanity of the second hand store, the gorgeous accordion, the interesting man and the glorious music lifted me to near the pinnacle of human experience.

My neighbors often have a drum circle around their backyard fire. I always join them. (I can't share their pot....but I can share their joy and humanity!)

Church is wherever you make it!

• Like 1

To think about "spiritual" things live love and compassion and kindness, gratitude, stuff like that. To be uplifted by words of wisdom. I wish I could find a place or a resource like that. Maybe I'll have to create a website like that! Hmm, now that's an idea! smile.png

I think these places are all around us. I was at a second hand store and there was a gorgeous turquoise accordion for sale. A large middle age man with a bad combover and mis-aligned buttons was playing the most amazing music on it. The humanity of the second hand store, the gorgeous accordion, the interesting man and the glorious music lifted me to near the pinnacle of human experience.

My neighbors often have a drum circle around their backyard fire. I always join them. (I can't share their pot....but I can share their joy and humanity!)

Agreed! Wow, wish I had been there to hear that man play! My dad played the accordion and I always loved listening to him. Music is something that lifts me up.

I am in a unique position at this point of my life where I am almost homebound, so I have to create my own church. Music, beautiful scenes of nature, powerful words of wisdom and love all speak to me.

I am in a unique position at this point of my life where I am almost homebound, so I have to create my own church. Music, beautiful scenes of nature, powerful words of wisdom and love all speak to me.

I think your idea of a website is a good one. And there's always us here at Ex-C! smile.png Thank goodness for our online community!

I think your idea of a website is a good one. And there's always us here at Ex-C! smile.png Thank goodness for our online community!

Thanks! I'll let you know if I get that up and running!

I am very thankful for this community. I think that is why I spend so much time here. It is really good therapy and I so enjoy the people I am getting to know here. I am thankful for my laptop. It's my window to the world!

• Like 1

Also, I noticed they said something about how they believe that everyone is born holy, but that a person has to save themselves through doing good things. I don't like the idea of anyone having to be saved. Saved from what?

I guess like you, Positivist, I'm going to have to do without a "church" to belong to. I think I would like it because it is an aid to getting me out of myself and thinking of the awe and grandeur of life and this universe. To think about "spiritual" things live love and compassion and kindness, gratitude, stuff like that. To be uplifted by words of wisdom. I wish I could find a place or a resource like that. Maybe I'll have to create a website like that! Hmm, now that's an idea! smile.png

I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I have never heard Unitarians talk about salvation. The thing I have discovered is that their groups can be very different. I went to one UU Church for two years and they were all about social issues and activism, but nothing was ever said that I can remember indicating you had to do things in order to be saved. That just doesn't make sense in the context of their other position, which is that of universalism. Universalism means everyone is saved eventually. Nothing necessary to be done. Actually the average unitarian could believe in almost anything except flaming fundamentalist Christianity.

Yes, they do go after your money.

Compassion, kindness and gratitude are also what I am pursuing. I feel a sense of gratitude just being alive.

I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I have never heard Unitarians talk about salvation. The thing I have discovered is that their groups can be very different. I went to one UU Church for two years and they were all about social issues and activism, but nothing was ever said that I can remember indicating you had to do things in order to be saved. That just doesn't make sense in the context of their other position, which is that of universalism. Universalism means everyone is saved eventually. Nothing necessary to be done. Actually the average unitarian could believe in almost anything except flaming fundamentalist Christianity.

Compassion, kindness and gratitude are also what I am pursuing. I feel a sense of gratitude just being alive.

I do not mind you chiming in at all! Thanks for sharing your experience. Perhaps this "salvation" is not really something that is stressed. I was looking through what the online church called Quest for Life posted as their beliefs and read this:

We believe that children are born holy and do not need someone else to save their souls. We each are responsible to save our own souls, and because our souls are intertwined with one another, this involves caring for the common good.

Perhaps this concern with social issues and activism is part of this "salvation" process?

I don't think the UU online is for me, but am glad your local UU was a positive experience for you!

I do not mind you chiming in at all! Thanks for sharing your experience. Perhaps this "salvation" is not really something that is stressed. I was looking through what the online church called Quest for Life posted as their beliefs and read this:

We believe that children are born holy and do not need someone else to save their souls. We each are responsible to save our own souls, and because our souls are intertwined with one another, this involves caring for the common good.

Perhaps this concern with social issues and activism is part of this "salvation" process?

I don't think the UU online is for me, but am glad your local UU was a positive experience for you!

Like much of what the UU's say, I find it hard to interpret the above statement in italics. I would have a lot of questions about it, but I tend to question stuff. That statement sounds like a form of Christianized Psuedo-Buddhism. The UU worked for a brief time as a sort of go-between when I left the fundamentalist Baptist upbringing I had and I was just at sea as to what to do next. I was still a Christian. After the UU experience, I went into the Episcopal Church for 5 years before I finally rid myself of it altogether and went into eastern thought and finally Buddhism.

I had some issues with UU. They had no coherent philosophy IMO- it was very nebulous to me. They were all about your money, and they basically asked for a commitment almost as soon as you came in the door - but that was just this particular congregation.

I had some issues with UU. They had no coherent philosophy IMO- it was very nebulous to me. They were all about your money, and they basically asked for a commitment almost as soon as you came in the door - but that was just this particular congregation.

That's how I felt with that online UU church. I couldn't even check it out without paying first! I didn't like that at all. The last church I went to was a Calvary Chapel, and they were very laid back about membership and taking money. They didn't have any formal membership and the box was there if you wanted to donate. They never passed the plate. I liked that part.

Thanks for your input with regard to their church! I appreciate it. smile.png

• Like 1

Universalism means everyone is saved eventually. Nothing necessary to be done. Actually the average unitarian could believe in almost anything except flaming fundamentalist Christianity.

I'm heading in the same direction, Deva. I don't think I need a prefabricated faith community when I can enjoy the same things (and in greater quantity and purer quality) with my friends and acquaintances and through serendipitous experiences of many types.

And I'm disappointed to hear that U/U goes after your money. I'd rather spend my 10% on supporting Medicins Sans Frontiers (Doctors Without Borders).

I am thankful to everyone on this thread for helping me sort out my thoughts on church!! Thanks Deva!

• Like 1

I have never heard Unitarians talk about salvation. Universalism means everyone is saved eventually. Nothing necessary to be done.

Perhaps this "salvation" is not really something that is stressed.

I heard a speaker (former fundy missionary kid, now with a PhD in theology) say that soteria, the Greek work from which "salvation" derives, can also be translated as "peace". I had an 'a-ha moment', because now that I have lost my faith I am finally at peace for the first time. I guess that means I'm finally saved. smile.png

• Like 1

Really love this thread, Pos! And I love your story about the thrift shop. It really resonates with me right now in my own search for connection/meaning. I think we can find it in so many places if we are just open to it.

This reminds me of our experience last weekend. We were invited to a "star gazing" party at the home of a woman from my yoga class. We sat on her porch, ate barbecue, and chatted. When it got dark we moved out to the lawn to watch the stars and point out constellations. J and I got some "energy work" done by one of my yoga class members. It was fun to be able to just be open and live in that moment, not worrying about differences of belief and opinion. That is something I'm learning from J who's so much better at that than I am.

These people are a rag-tag group. But they're open, loving and fun. It was the first time we've gotten to socialize with a group since leaving church, so that was really nice. They may not be people we'd choose to get really close with on an individual level, but it's interesting to be around people who are different and just see what I can learn from them. It feels good to just be able to enjoy that human connection without any feelings of fear or obligation (to "reach" them). I can just appreciate who they are and show them love and acceptance.

I'm thankful for this forum and the fact that so many of us are on this same journey right now. It really inspires me to keep growing.

We were invited to a "star gazing" party at the home of a woman from my yoga class. We sat on her porch, ate barbecue, and chatted. When it got dark we moved out to the lawn to watch the stars and point out constellations. J and I got some "energy work" done by one of my yoga class members. It was fun to be able to just be open and live in that moment, not worrying about differences of belief and opinion. That is something I'm learning from J who's so much better at that than I am.

These people are a rag-tag group. But they're open, loving and fun. It was the first time we've gotten to socialize with a group since leaving church, so that was really nice. They may not be people we'd choose to get really close with on an individual level, but it's interesting to be around people who are different and just see what I can learn from them. It feels good to just be able to enjoy that human connection without any feelings of fear or obligation (to "reach" them). I can just appreciate who they are and show them love and acceptance.

This. Welcome to being human! This was my big learning coming out of the rigidity of the Christian faith. I could go to a neighbour's drum circle and just enjoy the humanity of it. I have had to grow a lot, because as a fundy I seriously only hung out with people who believed as intensely as I did. I was not unequally yoked in any of my friendships. Wendyloser.gif Now, I'm having to learn how to be human. yellow.gif

I love your stargazing story!!!! This is exactly it! I don't think any of this has to mean anything more than simply being human.

Coming to Canada any time soon? smile.png