Goodbye Jesus

What Movies Helped You In Your Deconversion?

NeverAgainV

The Lord of the Rings - the books more than the movies, but still kinda counts. I thought to myself, here's a comparable and rich history in this book. This lore is obviously fiction, yet in the world within it's set supernatural/miraculous events happen quite often. Why don't they happen in our world? If the Bible were literally true, I would imagine our world would look much the same as Middle Earth.

Anything Monty Python - They have a great way of making fun of religion.

The Matrix - Pretty easy to figure that one out. Questioning reality and all that...

Contact - Good non-believing main character, played by Jodi Foster

Dogma - Obvious reasons

• Like 1

I liked The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Its theme of living life while you can enjoy it, no matter what you have been through or what troubles are coming, reminded me to focus on the here and now. A lot of Xians would look at it from a different perspective. SPOILER ALERTI have a feeling they would want Daisy to spend her life praising God and trying to convert people because she didn't die in the accident. They would hate it because Benjamin slept around and because Daisy cheated on her

husband with Benjamin. Not that cheating is right, of course, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Also, they would dislike the movie's

focus on life on earth instead of meditating on the afterlife. I saw it after I got cured, but it still applies to my new life.

• Like 1

The Lord of the Rings - the books more than the movies, but still kinda counts. I thought to myself, here's a comparable and rich history in this book. This lore is obviously fiction, yet in the world within it's set supernatural/miraculous events happen quite often. Why don't they happen in our world? If the Bible were literally true, I would imagine our world would look much the same as Middle Earth.

Anything Monty Python - They have a great way of making fun of religion.

The Matrix - Pretty easy to figure that one out. Questioning reality and all that...

Contact - Good non-believing main character, played by Jodi Foster

Dogma - Obvious reasons

I can second Contact.

That awesome moment when you realize Gandalf, Saruman, The Balrog, and Sauron are the same kind of being...

How was this cathartic? It's a horror movie.

Have you seen it? Without giving too much away, it encourages questioning on the part of those who have been indoctrinated.

• Like 1

Higher Ground was very instrumental in my deconversion. It met me right where I was, and I related to it deeply. Will remain one of my favorites.

Thanks for putting it on here. I would like to see it.

I don't think it's a horror movie, more a psychological thriller. It basically is a statement about those who construct a reality around themselves that denies a greater reality. Lies keep the people within The Village and myths control them. Only when one steps outside of The Village (Christianity) does one realize that it comprises only a minute part of a greater reality.

• Like 1

Bridge to Terabithia

There's one line from that movie that hit me so hard...

“You have to believe it and you hate it. I don't have to

and I think it's beautiful.”

I know. That is partly why I hate Xianity so much: its emotional power makes me miss it and want to go back to it.

The Wizard of Oz.

Why should any great all-powerful wizard/god demand the impossible from those who

desperately need his help?

Wow. That is an interesting perspective....I never thought of W-Oz as applicable to Xianity. Though the wizard turned out to be nice at the end; X-god just hates everyone except himself.

• Super Moderator

The Wizard of Oz.

Why should any great all-powerful wizard/god demand the impossible from those who

desperately need his help?

Wow. That is an interesting perspective....I never thought of W-Oz as applicable to Xianity. Though the wizard turned out to be nice at the end; X-god just hates everyone except himself.

True. Once the curtain gets ripped away, their true natures are unveiled. Crazy how we would have been so much better off with the wizard rather than buybull god. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Like 1

buybull god. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

lmao_99.giflmao_99.giflmao_99.gif

Anyway, am I the only one stunned by the fact that Life of Brian hasn't been brought up? Pretty much the whole thing is all about making fun of religion.

"What did he say?"

"Blessed are the cheese makers."

"What's so special about them?"

"It's supposed to be figurative. He means all dairy producers!"

I FUCKING LOVE LIFE OF BRIAN!

I deconverted in my teens, so most movies got to me after the fact. But the ancient civ nerd in my ADORES Life of Brian.

"What have the Romans ever done for US??!?" lmao_99.gif

• Like 2

even the Narnia movies.

I was going to say the Narnia movies. I loved the books, btu then was losing my faith as an adult, and when I saw the movie, I didn't like it very much.

• Like 1

Not really a movie, but evid3nc3's series on "Why I am no longer a Christian" played a huge role in my deconversion. I went from someone with a few doubts and questions to seriously considering it all being a lie in only a few hours. It was quite jarring.

• Like 1

The Bible Tells Me So - people who called themselves Christians acting inhuman and indecent.

• Like 3

The Bible Tells Me So - people who called themselves Christians acting inhuman and indecent.

Never heard of that, is it a documentary?

The Life of Brian is awesome! My favourite scene:

• Like 1

The Life of Brian is awesome! My favourite scene:

thanks for the clip!! Reminds me of the "BURN HER!!!!!" I LOVE Those guys!!

Yes, it's a commentary on Xian homophobia. I haven't seen it, but it has won a few awards and has good reviews.

Yes, it's a commentary on Xian homophobia. I haven't seen it, but it has won a few awards and has good reviews.

ah...interesting. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of it. Thanks Lilith!

I have found it and watched it yesterday.It's about Christian parents from different denominations who used to be homophobic because of what they were taught in the church but who then made a turnaround (well, mostly) when their own sons and daughters turned out to be gay. Most did not deconvert though. They just switched a Bible literalist view to a liberal Christian view.

There was one thing in it I haven't really thought about it yet that way: they said that the root of homophobia is really sexism and the belief that women are inferior. It's mentioned in the documentary that it's no accident that, for example, in the army when an officer wants to verbally humiliate the soliders he calls them "girls".

Homosexuals were seen as men who took up a female role, who emasculated themselves and thus "lowered" themselves on the level of the "inferior" women. That's where the disdain for them comes from - it really is a disdain for women. I think it's true. As far as I know the Romans, for example, didn't have a problem with the "top" role in a homosexual relationship, but they had a disdain for the "bottoms", which was considered the female role.

At least this is one reason. The other, of course, is procreation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSqH9XdRsT8

• Like 1

Just the pie in Anita Bryant's face makes it worth a watch. :)

• Like 1

"Dogma". Although George Carlin was my initial push into the world of the godless, I guess a big part of my journey away from Catholicism (and later, Christianity as a whole) is that I'm one of those people who is incapable of taking "because [authority] says so" as an answer. I didn't quite end up "god-less", but I found my Path.

• Like 1

The matrix hands down.

• Like 1

The matrix hands down.

definitely one of the best :D