Goodbye Jesus

What Do You Want To Happen When You Die?

mcdaddy

Can I take the option of both death and becoming one with the universe?

I mean, no one really knows what will happen to our consciousness once we die but I do know that the atoms that make up my physical body were formed in the cores of ancient suns billions of years ago. These suns eventually drifted apart or exploded into clouds of gas that would eventually condense and form the the stars and planets that make up our Milky Way galaxy. Those same atoms eventually came together, however momentarily, to form you and me. And, when I go outside at night and stare at the stars I can help but feel that I am both looking at the distance past and the far future. The past in the sense that the photons leaving those stars had to travel thousands, if not millions, of years to reach me. Those stars are now in completely different stages. Some no longer even exist. But, those stars are forming the elements that will lead to new gas clouds and new galaxies and, perhaps, even new life. So just as my atoms have existed for billions of years in the cores of stars, my atoms will go on to provide for other organisms on Earth.

I used to be saddened by the fact that the sun will eventually envelope the earth, but now I realize that, as the sun expands, my atoms and elements will still persist. They will go on to form new gas clouds that will go on to form new stars and planets and, perhaps, go on to form life.

• Like 2

Can I take the option of both death and becoming one with the universe?

I mean, no one really knows what will happen to our consciousness once we die but I do know that the atoms that make up my physical body were formed in the cores of ancient suns billions of years ago. These suns eventually drifted apart or exploded into clouds of gas that would eventually condense and form the the stars and planets that make up our Milky Way galaxy. Those same atoms eventually came together, however momentarily, to form you and me. And, when I go outside at night and stare at the stars I can help but feel that I am both looking at the distance past and the far future. The past in the sense that the photons leaving those stars had to travel thousands, if not millions, of years to reach me. Those stars are now in completely different stages. Some no longer even exist. But, those stars are forming the elements that will lead to new gas clouds and new galaxies and, perhaps, even new life. So just as my atoms have existed for billions of years in the cores of stars, my atoms will go on to provide for other organisms on Earth.

I used to be saddened by the fact that the sun will eventually envelope the earth, but now I realize that, as the sun expands, my atoms and elements will still persist. They will go on to form new gas clouds that will go on to form new stars and planets and, perhaps, go on to form life.

Wonderfully described. I love this reality. Like you, it amazes me too to look up at the sky on a starry night and wonder about that what I see is our past and our future and eventually we ARE one with the Universe: our atoms were formed in the stars and will go back there one day. It kind of gives me a peace of mind too, because when you think about that you realize how meaningless and insignificant your everday problems are.

When I die the dream is over and you all go with me. Sorry.

mwc

Tough choice! I like the idea of us being all ONE, but as far as afterlife scenarios go I prefer some form of reincarnation, though minus the concept of the transmigration of souls. I have no desire to come back as a roach or a slug. I wouldn't look forward to being a melting Bible snail either.

For a moment there I wondered if people long ago had a conversation similar to this thread and if some of the creative and imaginative participants decided to run off and write stories about all the "what ifs"....and.... consequently wrote tomes, scriptures, and gospels.

• Like 2

Agreed. Most of the Old Testament reads like an extended "Just So" story.

mwc

You think life is a dream?

mwc

You think life is a dream?

Did no one tell you? We live in the Matrix.

I'd go for not dying at all, when we've got a wishlist, but from those choices, a little time as a spirit and a conscious reincarnation sounds good.