Goodbye Jesus

Waiters' And Waitresses' Rant: Serving On Sundays After Church

Positivist

Tiz possibly an urban myth, but I've heard the tradition of auto adding tip for parties larger than (x amount) came about because of church groups stiffing servers.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

This reminds me of a blog post I saw one time (maybe it was linked to from this site, can't remember for sure) about some poor server who thought he/she got a huge tip ($20 or $50 laying on the table) but when the server got close the "tip" turned out to be a tract that was printed up to look like money. That's about as bad as it gets, much worse than no tip at all.

In Australia they couldn't print tracts like that because it's illegal to use the same designs as are on our money for any sort of advertising or otherwise, unless you have specific permission to do so, which is very rarely given. It's true you can buy a watch with a coin as its face, but that's an old pre-decimal currency coin usually, such as a silver Florin.

Casey

PS Doesn't the US have laws against "Defacing the currency?" I'd have thought that if you copy the design of a US Dollar Bill of any denomination and print your own slogan on it, that would be considered as defacing it?

This reminds me of a blog post I saw one time (maybe it was linked to from this site, can't remember for sure) about some poor server who thought he/she got a huge tip ($20 or $50 laying on the table) but when the server got close the "tip" turned out to be a tract that was printed up to look like money. That's about as bad as it gets, much worse than no tip at all.

In Australia they couldn't print tracts like that because it's illegal to use the same designs as are on our money for any sort of advertising or otherwise, unless you have specific permission to do so, which is very rarely given. It's true you can buy a watch with a coin as its face, but that's an old pre-decimal currency coin usually, such as a silver Florin.

Casey

PS Doesn't the US have laws against "Defacing the currency?" I'd have thought that if you copy the design of a US Dollar Bill of any denomination and print your own slogan on it, that would be considered as defacing it?

Ray Comfort caught some flack when he printed a 1,000,000 dollar tract (in the U.S.).

Those money tracts make me cringe. My Evil Ex and I had way too many friends who were in foodservice not to tip well. Whatever else his faults were, if he left a money tract behind, you can be sure it was wrapped around a nice tip. The pastor at our first church, which was a very large one, preached tipping well, though I know it didn't sink in with everybody. He'd had complaints from the local buffets, it seems, so he had promised them that he'd preach this message if they'd please not refuse service to our groups.

I don't go out to eat on the weekends during "family" hours. Sunday at 9am? Fine. Sunday at 1pm? That's okay. We'll eat in.

Sunday at 7pm is awesome.

I believe the sabbath is really on saturday, though churchies argue that.

http://www.pacinst.c...er1/sunday.html

http://www.gotquesti...day-Sunday.html

What say, bible scholars?

Sabbath is the only named day. The rest were essentially numbered (day 1, day 2...day 6, Sabbath, day 1, etc., ... just as in Genesis really). And it basically just means "Rest Day" (Day of Rest...however you want to say it). It worked out (then as now) every Friday sunset to Saturday sunset. There's no known time I'm aware of when Jews used it differently when speaking of the weekly sabbath.

However, just adopting the usage ("day of rest") to another day is what happened. So the first day of the week (not Sunday...this existed thanks to astrology but was not in official usage and the Romans had an 8 day week at this time...so the 1st day obviously follows the 7th day in the Jewish calendar and becomes Sunday once the 7-day astrological calendar takes over) was deemed the "day of rest" or "Sabbath" by xians.

Technically any day can be a sabbath (there are a number of Jewish sabbath days) but only the 7th day is the weekly Sabbath and I already went over that.

mwc

I'm not a lawyer, but I recall hearing that the designs of currency are in the public domain. You can use them in any way you wish, you just can't try to spend it like real money.

The defacing law is so people won't do stuff like melt down pennies and sell the zinc (or copper from old pennies) to recycling centers. Pennies are by far the cheapest source of zinc around since the amount of zinc in each penny is worth more than one cent.

Just be careful with copying designs from money so the Secret Service doesn't go after you. If a merchant might mistake what you made could be money you are gonna be in a world of hurt.

Tiz possibly an urban myth, but I've heard the tradition of auto adding tip for parties larger than (x amount) came about because of church groups stiffing servers.

As a waitress for several years at a particular restaurant chain, we actually had that policy in place in writing on a sign in the party room. We had two church groups that NEVER tipped when they came through. Would spend easily a hundred bucks, drink about 4 sodas a piece in a group of 15, and would only leave a dollar a person as a tip. We added 18% gratuity to the bill everytime they came in after waitresses barely cleared 10 dollars on a 200 dollar bill. Forget the running around and order taking. These people would even try to manipulate the orders to get substitutions of more expensive items of chicken tenders instead of fries and think they shouldn't have to pay additional! Always looked for a reason to rip us off tips and food. I say, if they didn't tithe so much, they probably wouldn't have been such tight asses. Then again, maybe tipping 10% towards heavenly savings is a lot of money compared to earthly food and human service?

Either way, we had the sign up as a policy for these two groups. Sadly, they were the only two groups we had to enforce it with....