Goodbye Jesus

An Immaterial Being ? What 's Up With That.

oddbird1963

I am not making a statement about the actual existence of God. It very well may be that the world is self-sufficient without the existence of God. I am merely objecting to the straw-man conception of God, which wishes that God be capable of being manipulated, or empirically observed. This straw-man doesn't seem to be reflective of what God would be, if God does exist. I think there are legitimate criticisms to the existence of God, but first let us settle on what we mean by this "God".

That's a good point. What do we mean with the word "God"?

Neti neti...

Words can never express it because words are symbols in themselves. I think when we use words to communicate, those words have the ability to bring forth an understanding that goes beyond the word itself. Such as saying, "I love you". A feeling is communicated through a symbol. We can attribute symbols to God, but we have to remember they are symbols or they become idols. That seems to be the entire problem with defining God. People usually want the symbols to be a concrete reality. :shrug:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shyone

• Legion

• Antlerman

• NotBlinded

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not making a statement about the actual existence of God. It very well may be that the world is self-sufficient without the existence of God. I am merely objecting to the straw-man conception of God, which wishes that God be capable of being manipulated, or empirically observed. This straw-man doesn't seem to be reflective of what God would be, if God does exist. I think there are legitimate criticisms to the existence of God, but first let us settle on what we mean by this "God".

Neti neti...

Words can never express it because words are symbols in themselves. I think when we use words to communicate, those words have the ability to bring forth an understanding that goes beyond the word itself. Such as saying, "I love you". A feeling is communicated through a symbol. We can attribute symbols to God, but we have to remember they are symbols or they become idols. That seems to be the entire problem with defining God. People usually want the symbols to be a concrete reality. :shrug:

Um, forgive my concrete thinking, but if God isn't concrete reality, then God is immaterial. In every sense of the word.

I.e. doesn't exist.

Or, if you prefer, undefined.

My own symbol for God is below.

Fire Finger.jpg

Neti neti...

Um, forgive my concrete thinking, but if God isn't concrete reality, then God is immaterial. In every sense of the word.

I.e. doesn't exist.

Or, if you prefer, undefined.

My own symbol for God is below.

Fire Finger.jpg

Duh.