Goodbye Jesus

Why Don't More Xtians Know About Biblical Scholarship?

Neon Genesis

I will say that I know many christians who "study" the bible diligently and constantly. The problem is that they only use material from conservative sources that believe the same way they do. They don't read any independent scholarship; in fact, they are told by "more knowledgeble" people (e.g. Dobson, MacArthur, etc.) not to.

This is why, when I sat down to read the Bible, I did not rely on any external sources to "guide" me or provide "interpretations". And that includes atheist sources (aka independent sources?). Is there really any such thing as an independent source? Well, that aside, I note that many churches rely heavily on the Bible and the preacher gives the interpretation. "Turn to John, chapter..." And his reading confirms what he believes, even if it disagrees with the pastor down the street.

Once you are familiar with the material, it is reasonable to read different interpretations and, again, decide for yourself which is correct.

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”

Isaac Asimov

Citing some of the concerns in the opening post and subsequent posts, I really think it stems from genuine intellectual apathy. As a teacher, I have found this human weakness in many of my students and their parents. Some people want to be spoon-fed by their local power figures and just live their lives in happy stupidity. The human mind is a potent force for change, but many Americans I think could care less about real intellectual change and challenge. My wife summed it up for me: she knows what she believes and she isn't going to change her mind. It is easier to be stubborn than open-minded and you are the one who is wrong for trying to change that attitude. This may also explain why folks still play the part of self-deceiver when they attend religious services.

It is easier to be stubborn than open-minded and you are the one who is wrong for trying to change that attitude. This may also explain why folks still play the part of self-deceiver when they attend religious services.

My wife is like that, but I don't push her. She has lost many relatives including her sister, but derives some comfort from thinking they are still alive in heaven. I fear for her sanity if I took that away from her.