Goodbye Jesus

What Do Ya'll Do With The Bible You Use To Believe?

Guest WAVESFORFUN

The Bile is rather scarce in depicting Hell, and is even conflicting when it does.

Sorry I should have been more explicit - The Bible as taught by numerous Baptist hellfire preachers.

And numerous end-of-days preachers of every kind. "The End of the World is coming tomorrow. And you are all going to Hell!"

Considering that the world didn't end, I guess this is Hell?

Good misspelling of "Bible" Hans, was it deliberate?

Yup.

Goodbye Jesus
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mriana

• chefranden

• Ouroboros

• Snakefoot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bible_as_toilet_paper.jpg

The Holy Roller?

End Times predictions?

He will wipe your sins away?

Okay, I'll stop now...

What do you do with the Bible

post-3593-1242949813_thumb.jpg

I tried that, but the pages are too slippery to get the shit off. So much for being whiter than snow.

The red letters give me a rash.

The pages make decent rolling papers with no glue but the opinion is that smoking the ink in the Bible may be harmful to your health. Since that collection of fiction is a toxic waste dump, not only ecologically but intellectually, the collection is more suited for safe storage in a vault or lead-lined pit. The bible is more toxic to the soul when in the hands of true believers®.

What I "do" with it is ignore it as the collection of superstitious beliefs written by bronze age goat herders that it is.

Next question.

So, a book that means nothing that warned about leaving God.....never even crosses anyones mind.....?

No, and for the same reason The Night Before Xmas doesn't cross my mind since we stopped believing in Santa Claus.

I had two bibles- one was a little green Gideon bible that I got in Sunday School when I was a kid. The other was a full-sized grown-up bible that my Dad got me when I graduated high school. When I was 18 or 19, I smoked a few pages out of the little green bible- but the ink tasted funny and I threw it out.

I kept the grown-up bible for a few more years. Eventually, I was getting ready for a cross-country move... tossing every bit of unnecessary weight so that my '85 Caprice could make the trip from Tennessee to Colorardo while towing/hauling all my worldly possessions (including about 1500lbs of tools). So I threw my grown-up bible away. But I soaked it in the sink for a couple days first... didn't want some kid to find the thing and be damaged by it.

What's your question? I only see a bunch of Bible quotes. Did you have any particular thing you were wondering about, or are you just throwing Bible verses to see what sticks? :shrug:

Well assuming exchristians use to believe those...what do they do with them now? Up and forget them?

Well, since we're EXChristians, the answer should be fairly fucking obvious, brainiac. It seems that this is your passive-aggressive way at trying to threaten us for not believing. That makes as much sense as me telling you that Santa isn't going to bring you gifts this year because you're a slithering, piece of shit Christian who doesn't have the guts to be upfront about his agenda.

What do I do with the Bible? I use it for starting fires. I'm going to turn a few into cool little cases, where it's cut out once you open it and you can store things in there. Your Bible isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

I still have one of mine but now I mostly just use biblegateway.com

Nothing like reading the Bible for reinforcing the fact that Christianity is full of shit.

So, a book that means nothing that warned about leaving God.....never even crosses anyones mind.....?

You are as vague as dear old End.

Did you know that other holy books warn you about ignoring them and their associated god as well? Does that ever cross your mind?

Aren't you afraid of Allah? You should be: Allah's hell makes Yahweh look like a piker.

If you piss Zeus off he's likely to chain you to a rock and have your liver eaten out by eagles every day. Ouch that's gotta hurt.

Koeln_wrm_1044.jpg

And, aren't you afraid of when the Great Old Ones/Elder Ones awake? Aren't you afraid of Thetans? What about Xuchilbara and Lobsel Vith?

While I was deconverting, those verses troubled me quite a bit and slowed down the deconversion process for me. I worried about losing fellowship with the holy spirit and my friendship with God and Jesus. Hell was a concern as well, but I believed hell was just nonexistence so that didn't really apply. Not existing doesn't scare me.

Obviously I couldn't care less now. I consider those versus mere scare tactics, as does everyone else on this board who is not in the infancy of their deconversion.

Sorry about not responding in each of the two and a half threads, but it works just as well to put just one post here:

Re: this OP, of course this bothered me a great deal while still a xian starting the process of deconversion, and presented a huge obstacle which discouraged me from asking questions for years. Similar to others' answers in the "Reasons for Leaving" thread, I eventually found that the case for xianity as "the truth" did not hold water.

It does not make sense for you to ask for an individual response for each passage. The responses are the same:

1st passage:

The bible is a work of fiction and the xian god is a mythological figure.

2nd passage:

3rd passage:

4th passage:

5th passage:

Get it? There is no god (specifically in this context, no xian god) to toss me in a lake of fire for eternity because I am not gullible.

You seem to be asking a lot of questions and not really listening to the answers you are getting.

Which brings me to...

Re: "Research." You could just say you wanted to find out or understand better, although this does not seem to really be supported based on your responses. You see, this makes it sound a little like you are suggesting you're doing legitimate research, i.e., at the post graduate level or above, rather than conducting informal research for your own edification, and it sounds fishy, especially if you have spelling errors in what you write. (By the way, you are easy to understand and you write clearly enough, I'm not claiming otherwise. Just sayin'... it's a little askew from how someone doing research would present their thread. As for being "jumpy like that," you do fit the pattern of those many who came here before you with ulterior motives and xian agendas. It's not really hard to recognize. If you had in fact been genuinely interested in understanding, you would have gotten better answers by reading the testimonies section rather than opening a thread where people sensed an agenda.

Re: The "born again" experience: Yes, good old John 3:3. You are in good company in that many of your fellow xians place themselves in the "born again" camp. Others who believe just as strongly do not interpret John 3:3 the same way as you do, that by saying a magical little prayer at some point you are magically "saved" and will spend an eternity in heaven rather than in a lake of fire. Yes, I did say the prayer and was "born again," thank you very much. In the same vein as some of my response above, the born again experience is not a powerful transformation from a living god. You THINK it is, and you think your personal experience is more real than equally powerful subjective experiences of people of all sorts of contradictory religions throughout all history. It is not.

Re: "Freshness" of the testimonies: I posted my testimony on this site two years ago, and it is just as relevant today as it was the day I posted it. Sure people evolve an grow over time, but you should find the lack of stories here about folks who have found their lives in shambles for having forsaken their god, very interesting. If you are astute, you might find it very telling, too, to the point where it might challenge your assumptions that we are a depraved mess without the god we have invented. The truth is, many people tend to convert because they have hit rock bottom and have become a "twisted car wreck." The "born again" experience represents an out for them. It is not valid and not true that all of humanity feels like it is at it's rope's end without jesus, and that with jesus they are magically transformed. To the contrary, when you confront the tough questions and issues in your own mind and life, and work through them, rather than brainlessly handing your life over to an imagined higher power, you can get your head on pretty darn straight. I've certainly found that to be the case.

Re: Locked thread: What more needs be said? Again, similar to what I've indicated above, you are really presupposing that your premise in a god, and specifically the contemporary born again xian rendition of god, is the Ultimate Truth TM. As indicated above, of course there is no sense of emptiness or despair for having left xianity. Most certainly my life is not worse than before, to the contrary, my greatest challenge in life was dealing with the loads of stinking baggage endowed upon me compliments to my xian indoctrination. Bluntly, the passage quoted in the OP of the locked thread is simply crap with no basis in any actual truth or reality.

These do not seem to be the answers that you are predisposed to hearing, but they are my answers nonetheless.

I still have a use for the bible. I use it against idiot Christians who don't read their own holy book, and often against those who do. Most only read it selectively if they do at all. I can cherry pick just as well as they can.

Here's some real wisdom for you:

Know your enemy, know yourself, and you need not fear the outcome of a thousand battles.

As for the Bible, as philosophy it's useless, as ammunition, it's invaluable.

I still own about 4-5 different bibles and various books about the bible.

Your question is odd. If I don't believe in God, I don't believe the bible was inspired by him. If I don't believe the bible was inspired by him, why should I worry about what any of the verses say?

Florduh, that youtube vid is now one of my favorites. Thanks

To the OP. I do with it what I do with every other work of fiction that I have read. It sits on my bookshelf collecting dust. I don't sit around pondering the passages in The Client by John Grisham.

The fundamental problem with xians is that you elevate and revere ONE work of fiction. It is just a bunch of words that are no different than other collections of words. (Well, other than that whole ability to incite violence bigotry, and hate)

It is an awesome video, I'd favorite it myself, but I've got the DVD.

I love religious books. Have a few different versions of the Bible, New testament, Tanakh (Jewish scriptures), Koran, Tao Teh Ching, Talmud, Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Hindu texts, Buddhist texts, Greek and Roman mythologies, and many, many commentaries on the texts. I just bought the Jefferson Bible, interesting book (he edited all the supernatural and god-isms out of the New testament).

After studying all religions, which I still do on a regular basis, I am convinced that I have more to fear from the FSM (flat beer and ugly strippers in heaven) than I do about anything the Bible ACTUALLY says. Once I stopped listening to others and read the books myself, and compared them to other religions, tough to be concerned that God, if there be one, is as shallow and petty as you make him out to be Waves.

Guest WAVESFORFUN
I love religious books. Have a few different versions of the Bible, New testament, Tanakh (Jewish scriptures), Koran, Tao Teh Ching, Talmud, Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Hindu texts, Buddhist texts, Greek and Roman mythologies, and many, many commentaries on the texts. I just bought the Jefferson Bible, interesting book (he edited all the supernatural and god-isms out of the New testament).

After studying all religions, which I still do on a regular basis, I am convinced that I have more to fear from the FSM (flat beer and ugly strippers in heaven) than I do about anything the Bible ACTUALLY says. Once I stopped listening to others and read the books myself, and compared them to other religions, tough to be concerned that God, if there be one, is as shallow and petty as you make him out to be Waves.

Shallow and petty? Ouch.....thats mean.

Guest WAVESFORFUN
I still have a use for the bible. I use it against idiot Christians who don't read their own holy book, and often against those who do. Most only read it selectively if they do at all. I can cherry pick just as well as they can.

Here's some real wisdom for you:

Know your enemy, know yourself, and you need not fear the outcome of a thousand battles.

As for the Bible, as philosophy it's useless, as ammunition, it's invaluable.

So you read the part about twisting it to your own destruction?

That's the best part. I don't actually need to twist it. It's disgusting, barbaric, immoral, and just plain evil enough on it's own. Doesn't need a bit of twisting or taking out of context to help it along at all.

Most Christians don't read it, but just listen to the select chosen verses they hear from the Church pulpit. Those that do read it usually go verse selecting for the ones that sound the nicest to them, and ignore the rest.

Read as a whole, it's a disgusting abomination.

Really. Why does God need to sacrifice himself to himself to make up for a rule that was broken that he made up, in the universe that he made and totally controls, to honor a deal he made with himself, to satisfy himself, resurrect himself, and raise himself to heaven to be with himself, all to satisfy some plan that he decided he needed to do himself for no good reason, so he can forgive what he made from upsetting him by punishing himself, so he can [because the -all powerful being- apparently can't] let [some of] the creations into the other place that he made.

All while punishing the rest of his creations for things that are his fault to begin with for eternity?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

What do you do with the Bible you once believed that told about what happens to those who turn there back on God? What did you think about it when you did believe? Did you ever think you would leave Christianity?

I see no reason to regard the Bible as anything other than the chosen mythology of my culture. It has an important cultural role, but that's all. I do not believe in its deities or mandates any more. Its dictates about what happens to unbelievers after we die are no more than the tactic its authors used to ensure continued adherence to biblical doctrines. So I ignore them.

When I believed, I believed the Bible was the inspired, inerrant word of the almighty God. I believed the Holy Spirit directed me to a generally literal view of its words (more literal than not, at any rate). I read the entire thing, some parts in great detail, and translated portions of it from Latin and Greek in order to broaden and deepen my understanding of God's words.

I did not ever think I would leave Christianity, no.

Oh well....Truth hurts.

But what do you do with the parts that told you happen to people who leave? Do they bother you? did they?

Does it bother you when the Koran calls you an infidel? If not, then perhaps you can understand whey it doesn't bother us when the bible calls us evil.

Really. Why does God need to sacrifice himself to himself to make up for a rule that was broken that he made up, in the universe that he made and totally controls, to honor a deal he made with himself, to satisfy himself, resurrect himself, and raise himself to heaven to be with himself, all to satisfy some plan that he decided he needed to do himself for no good reason, so he can forgive what he made from upsetting him by punishing himself, so he can [because the -all powerful being- apparently can't] let [some of] the creations into the other place that he made.

Come on silly, God had to make up some nonsense so that wise wouldn't get it. You are wise therefore you don't get it. (1 Corinthians 1:18-23) God just can't be having any wise guys in heaven. This helps stupid people feel clever and superior.

Think so?

Mean is...

- murdering millions in the great flood

- commanding Israel to commit genocide

- being a misogynist asshole that subjugates and denigrates women

- murdering innocent children

- murdering Uzzah for doing "good" by preventing the ark from falling on the ground

- making up a bunch of impossible rules and punishing you if you fail in even one of them

- creating sentient life and condeming it to eternal torment for breaking nonsensical rules

- putting Abraham through mental torment by ordering him to murder his own son

- being a celestial asshole who apparently delights in tormenting humans and calling it "love"

If babblegawd ever showed up on Earth in human form again (not that anyone with two brain cells to rub together believes he did in the first place), he would be prosecuted and executed as a despot child molester and murderer.

How's that for "mean"?