Goodbye Jesus

How Did Your Church View Liberal Christians?

Vomit Comet

So, most of us came from conservative churches, most of those churches did not like liberal Christianity, most of us did not like liberal Christianity while we were in them, and a plurality of us dislikes liberal Christianity now.

Although we're not able to correlate these answers with each other, I'm tempted to suggest a remarkable consistency in attitudes: whether we're conservative Christians or ex-Christians, we don't much like liberal Christians! Interestingly enough, quite a few of us considered or passed through liberal Christianity on our way out. We experienced liberal Christianity as a place in between our faith and our loss of it.

For the record, if liberal Christians want Fundamentalist language out of politics, I consider them allies. I enjoy reading the philosophies of the likes of Spong, even if I don't need Jesus to make some of those philosophies work for me.

So, most of us came from conservative churches, most of those churches did not like liberal Christianity, most of us did not like liberal Christianity while we were in them, and a plurality of us dislikes liberal Christianity now.

Most, but not all. I came from a conservative background, didn't accept it, went to a liberal church after I left home and then left Xianity all together, not because I did not like the liberal church, but because I could not believe the theology. I have no issue with the liberal Episcopal Church itself, I just can't buy the crucifixion and alike nor can I believe in a historical Jesus. I can deal with liberal Xians far better than I can conservatives.

I enjoy reading the philosophies of the likes of Spong, even if I don't need Jesus to make some of those philosophies work for me.

These are the sort of liberal Xians I can get along with... to a point and have no issues with.