Goodbye Jesus

Christians...why Bother Us?

MathGeek

Welcome Back Buddy,

Not to degrade your work in Africa, but I'm often curious about why people seem so willing to step over the poor/homeless we have in the US to go and help people on another continent?

Again, I don't want to take away from the good I'm sure you did, but I really believe we should be looking to our own first. There's plenty of good to do right here in the US, so what made you decide to go to Africa?

Thanks,

:thanks:

HA! I went kicking and screaming (almost)to Africa. I actually passed on the first couple of opportunities. Work takes me places; the last 2+ years, it's been Africa. Nigeria, Djibouti, Sao Tome & Principe, Ethiopia, and we'll be working in Kenya next and for a couple of years. I expect to meet a giraffe face to face sometime next spring.

You raise an essential point in personal honesty; what about the need right here at home. It's perhaps less pervasive, but real and heart-rending nonetheless. I know that I was somewhat blind to what I saw every day on the streets of NY when I was working there. My daughter had to open my eyes to the reality of poverty in inner-Baltimore where she taught school for 4 years. I don't know the answer for anyone else. It's taken deliberate and significant effort for me to avoid being a completely insensitive ass regarding my own community.

One of the things I approve in the practices of the emerging church is sending teenagers on missions trips. Send them off to South America to help build houses and do puppet shows for kids and work their little tails off without the benefit of air conditioning. Most of them come home changed, matured, a little more grateful, and a lot less selfish. Face to face is different than seeing poor dirty-faced kids in some ad on TV.

Thanks for raising the question.

Buddy

You've touched my heart here Buddy. And again I wish you the best in Africa.

Are you in the States now? If so, how long will you be here?

I'm glad, friend. Thanks for genuinely sharing in this.

I'm stateside 'til mid-December, then back to Djibouti for system expansion and integration. It'll be a tough trip all around. I have the unfortunate task of sitting down with a family who took me in as friend and trying to work through the fact that their son is a thief who stole from me. It's common there; poverty is so widespread that the poor will resort to any means for survival. Painfully, it wasn't all that much that he stole, and I'd have given it to him if he asked. Not looking forward to that one, but I owe it to his mom and dad. They're working hard to raise their kids well in an impossible environment.

Nigeria planned tentatively for January (little opportunity there; we move in armored vehicles between guarded compounds), then Kenya, finally. Back to the Gulf of Guinea (and my friends) in April for a lengthy training and exercise series with the fledgling Coast Guard there. I'm looking forward to that one, of course. Photos of recent stuff at my Picasa Web Albums if you're curious what it's like.

Buddy

Our standard of living isn't the highest in the world, nor are we the wealthiest per capita. We're either 6th, 4th, 7th, or 8th, depending on whose criteria is used. Safest country in the world? Nope. Longest life expectancy? Nope.

I was taking a long view over the whole history of the U.S., not necessarily what is happening today. Certainly I know we do not have the longest life expectancy or the safest. As I said, I believe we have more murders here and also more prisoners than almost anywhere else. I have read this but I don't have the statistics at hand.

Would I work hand in hand with a Muslim to provide needed shelter? I do. Alongside an atheist? I do. A Southern Baptist? Maybe/probably. Have I sat and listened to stupid sermons in a food kitchen. Sure. Who cares.

That's good. I take it you wouldn't try to do any soul winning either, right? Some people might care about the stupid sermons. If I were homeless, I know I would appreciate a meal but would not appreciate the preaching. Its a price the poor must pay.

As you suggest, sermons wont keep people from living on the street, but they will offer hope to some who have none.

Anything is possible when it comes to human psychology, I guess.

Buddy, I do appreciate the more toned down approach you now have as opposed to what was happening here a couple of years ago. You seem to be more reasonable.

By what numbers? What's the criteria?

HanS, my friend. I half expected you to challenge something I might say. You're correct, of course, that by some criteria, Americans are not at the top of the list. I'll leave it to others to debate which list is the most relevant and authoritative.

BTW, I saw the photo in your gallery of you and your little girl. Priceless. She's a lot cuter than you are, though. Tried to leave a comment there, but I'm a second class citizen and don't have the vote here.

Wish I was there in Southern California instead of here in Maryland. I don't do bad weather cheerfully, and I hate winter.

Best regards to your family,

Buddy

That business with the theft seems an unfortunate thing Buddy. I hope you are able to handle the whole thing gracefully.

I think you have busy plans for the future. Thank you for sharing those photos with me.

HanS, my friend. I half expected you to challenge something I might say. You're correct, of course, that by some criteria, Americans are not at the top of the list. I'll leave it to others to debate which list is the most relevant and authoritative.

No rest for the wicked. (like me.) ;)

BTW, I saw the photo in your gallery of you and your little girl. Priceless. She's a lot cuter than you are, though. Tried to leave a comment there, but I'm a second class citizen and don't have the vote here.

She is a lot cuter. Very dangerous.

Wish I was there in Southern California instead of here in Maryland. I don't do bad weather cheerfully, and I hate winter.

I hate winter too, and today, here in CA, it is fairly cold. It's down in the 50s right now. I'm freezing my toes off. :HaHa: (I'm such a wuss now. And I used to live in Sweden.)

Best regards to your family,

Buddy

Likewise.

I check a group out before I give, and rarely give to religious organizations, who will help, and push their product while they're at it. Like any marketer, they need capitol to make their product successful, and I'm not interested in investing.

Thankfully, there are other groups that just give.

I also prefer to give time and labor or some kind of tangible end product where possible, to cut down on the issues that tend to come with money.

Phanta

You and I are probably much alike, Phanta. I generally pass by the serious evangelical organizations in favor of those who do real work that really help. Preaching is OK in its place, but if someone is in distress, they need a hand and perhaps a friend, not a sermon. World Vision is at the top of my list for transparency and effectiveness. They spend very little on administration, less than almost all such organizations, with the bulk of contributions going directly into the field work. Among other things, they will go into a village for a couple of decades, dig wells, teach farming, build a clinic and a school, educate the kids, do health care, etc. At the end of a couple of decades, they have a generation of better equipped adults to continue the progress. I like that.

I had a heck of a time finding an organization in Africa to partner with that came anywhere close to World Vision, my benchmark. I finally found a little NGO in Sao Tome that handles the Winrock Intl. scholarship program. The NGO was recommended to me by friends at the embassy as one that works at grassroots level and doesn't siphon off admin funds ahead of the work like so many of the large aid organizations do. My encounter with them(photo link) was absolutely delightful; they're genuinely dedicated people.

The figures I quoted were from the US State Dept and from other government agencies. The only distinction was between government sponsored and private (non-government sponsored) organizations. You're welcome to research further. My only purpose in mentioning American generosity was to note that it has been part of our national character.

I'm glad to hear of your charitable heart, both toward your family and others in need. It was pointed out in an earlier post that sometimes we overlook the need close to home. I imagine we each have plenty of opportunity in our own community to lend a hand. I like your coop story; there are a surprising number of families in our community that ride the edge of poverty for whom the community food pantry is the difference between making it or not some months. We'd hope every community had such a facility and enough volunteers to manage it well.

Thanks for adding your thoughts,

Buddy

... I hate winter too, and today, here in CA, it is fairly cold. It's down in the 50s right now. I'm freezing my toes off. :HaHa: (I'm such a wuss now. And I used to live in Sweden.)

HA! You're right! You are such a wuss, but I'll go you one better (worse). One of my teenage friends in Africa (and about 20 miles from the equator) was complaining about how cold it got at night up on the mountain; he had to wear long sleeves because it was down to like, you know, 74 degrees! :lmao:Eliseo, my wuss friend (photo).

Buddy

... That's good. I take it you wouldn't try to do any soul winning either, right? ...

I don't evangelize, I don't preach, etc. I would gladly pray with a friend if it seemed appropriate or bless them if given the opportunity. A few have asked the reason for my heart toward them. My linguistic skills limit me to simple answers. We have the same father. The ones who ask, smile and agree, even the Muslims. :)

I think spiritual ministry has it's place, and should be available to those who wish to take advantage of it. The fruits of people's faiths should be clear through their lives and actions, willingly shared with the interested, not thrust on the downtrodden because the religionist has some power over them.

Absolutely. If my life isn't a blessing to you, you're not gonna be moved by anything I might offer beyond that.

On the lesser issue of statistics and trends, it's perhaps agreed that folks of faith are significantly more generous toward both religious charities and secular charities than their secular counterparts. Here's a Stanford University, Hoover Institute study on the subject that agrees with most other sources on the same subject. While America remains an extraordinarily generous nation, the demographic shift away from faith to secularism has and will have an impact on our collective generosity. That said, dear lady, there are many individuals like yourself who live simply, share generously, and care deeply about more than just their own comfort. If the stance I expressed on trend is troublesome, I'll gladly relinquish it. I've no vested interest beyond casual observation.

On where you might contribute to such work, my personal short list begins with World Vision. Do your own research and satisfy yourself as to their integrity and effectiveness. Stateside, Covenant House works with street kids; they've had my respect for a number of years, especially the New York work. In Africa, it's a bit more difficult, but my NGO friends in Sao Tome are the ones I know personally and trust. I'll tell you stories sometime if you like.

Thank you for your good heart, friend, and for sharing in the conversation here. You're an encouragement to me.

Buddy