Goodbye Jesus

How We Are Made

Justin

Why would god make us as having many complicated organ systems that perform many different functions when he could have just made us as simply... living... without all that other stuff that keep us alive? He is god after all and he should be more than capable of creating a life that just lives without having the life to breath in order to survive or to have a heart in order to live. Do you all see what i mean? All the complicated organs and processes that our body's go through, isn't this proof that they were evolved and not created? I mean if i were god i wouldn't have took the time to construct in nearly every living organisim all these organs and processes, i would have just created them and forgot about all that other stuff.

One could argue that god created us with organs because he knew we would fall and would have to die one day.

Thoughts?

Yeah, what's the point of tonsils and the appendix or male nipples anyway? And if we're made in God's image like the bible says, why did God also command the Israelites to practice circumcision? It makes no sense to me for God to create us in his image, but then have us go through a pointless ritual to remove a part of our body that's supposedly in his image.

• Super Moderator

I agree. Living organisms have limited lifespan. Tissue wears out in time, even if not ravaged by disease.

An intelligent designer could have done better. There is a long list of design flaws in human beings.

God made the duckbill platypus? Had to be smokin' something.

God made the duckbill platypus? Had to be smokin' something.

I don't know, I like to think that was one of his rare success stories.

'Course, I'm kinda' strange like that. :)

Yeah, what's the point of tonsils and the appendix or male nipples anyway? And if we're made in God's image like the bible says, why did God also command the Israelites to practice circumcision? It makes no sense to me for God to create us in his image, but then have us go through a pointless ritual to remove a part of our body that's supposedly in his image.

Excellent point NG!

An intelligent designer could have done better. There is a long list of design flaws in human beings.

It might be more rational to believe in an Unintelligent Designer. (But, I'm biased for the Pasta).

Look at how easy it is for us to get choked. Why would a god create us so that our food and air we breath travel the same path to a certain point? And at this point, catastrophe could happen anytime.

It might be more rational to believe in an Unintelligent Designer. (But, I'm biased for the Pasta).

Though in all honesty, I think Alester Crowley said it best in Chapter 22 of "The Book of Lies" when he stated that Pure Chance was the only way to ensure the possibility of a good life.

Yeah, what's the point of tonsils and the appendix or male nipples anyway?

I don't know about tonsils and the appendix, but I don't think male nipples are entirely useless... for some males it's a rather nice erogenous zone :wicked:

Plus, for the transgendered guys...I think that would make for a smoother transition to boobs, don't you? ;)

Tonsils are part of the lymphatic system, and help with immunity. The appendix is likely functionless, but may serve as a repository for intestinal flora. Male nipples... well, I'm sure I could come up with a good use for them. :wicked:

But that all's neither here nor there.

I'm sure I've said this before on some other post somewhere: I am a designer for a living, and can tell you right now that "complex" does not equate to "intelligent". To the contrary, it usually equates to "overengineered crap."

The best design is simple. It works with a minimum of parts and elements. Unlike the human body, which is impractical, extremely complicated, and has stupid design flaws like the windpipe/esophagus arrangement (already mentioned by Justin up above) and the "amusement park by a waste treatment plant" arrangement of human genitalia. The genome alone is immense, with a lot of bits and pieces in it that may well not do a damn thing at all.

Face it: we're a colossal kluge.

If there is a god, he's holding the universe together with duct tape.

:o

It all makes sense now... God is Red Green!

:funny:

That would sure explain a lot!

You do know the joke about how duct tape is like the Force, right? It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together?

:cunn:

The best design is simple. It works with a minimum of parts and elements. Unlike the human body, which is impractical, extremely complicated, and has stupid design flaws like the windpipe/esophagus arrangement (already mentioned by Justin up above) and the "amusement park by a waste treatment plant" arrangement of human genitalia. The genome alone is immense, with a lot of bits and pieces in it that may well not do a damn thing at all.
An Occam's Razor fan, Gwen?

An Occam's Razor fan, Gwen?

Y'know, I suppose I am, yeah.

Certainly I am when it comes to designing things.

• Super Moderator

:58:

That's great!

Really, a perfect creator would make perfect creations.

This leads to an epic question: Is God circumcised?

:funny:

That would sure explain a lot!

You do know the joke about how duct tape is like the Force, right? It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together?

:cunn:

Heh, aye, it's one of my favorites. ;)

Also, some humans are still born with tails that need to be removed at birth, and some are still born with excessive hair (human hypertrichosis). IMO there is no way you can discount evolution when there is such evidence against creationism.

I could be said that the variation that we see in nature and humanity would not arise if our bodies had been given a more complete and properly functioning form. Of course to argue that would be to assert that while our designer could have been intelligent, that intelligence is certainly measurable, and that that designer was/is nowhere near perfect.

And if all the logical arguments together can't convince the Creationist endued with faith, listen to this. For forty years I heard the word "evolution" spoken as though it were a dirty word. But Dad always reminded everyone about the evolution of dairy herds via breeding. It was a seriously weak voice but it kept the niggling voice of skepticism alive.

Then when I was fifty I encountered two evolutionists and I am persuaded that it is by far the more desirable "belief." Both Darwin and Dawkins spoke with such reverence and awe for nature. How can I help but believe they are right? It just fits all the arguments from logic in this thread. Logic is the bones--the skeleton and skull, and faith, feelings, emotions--these are the heart and flesh of the matter. Human babies born with fur and tails. How beautiful that we--all the species--are connected so destrinctly.

Really, a perfect creator would make perfect creations.

Thats truely what it's all about right there. There is no two ways about it.

I have always wondered this: if MEN are such perfect creations, why are the family jewels in such an easily accessible spot? If a major reason for human existence is reproduction, wouldn't you think that the jewels would be protected like inside the pelvic bone like women have their uterean organ protected? Furthermore, why aren't men colder? If the average body temperature for any human is about 98.6 Fahrenheit, why aren't men cooler so they can keep the sperm cool enough to ensure proper and maximum DNA spreading. Just because of that, I have to say I am a fan of evolution.

Furthermore, Bill Hicks once said: "Why do the folks that are for creation look really unevolved?"