Goodbye Jesus

Prayer Doesn't Work

deepblue

Guest pseudoscientist
I am living proof that prayer doesn't work.

I spent about 25 years of my life reading the Bible and praying for salvation. I prayed for repentance. I prayed for faith. I begged God for an answer. I prayed for wisdom. Sometimes I would spend hours asking God to reveal himself to me. I was sincere.

All to no avail. A couple of times I felt a flash of something, but quite what it was I don't know.

I got nothing from God. No salvation. No repentance. No faith. No revelation. Nothing.

So, I've come to the conclusion that (1) I am not one of the elect, (2) God doesn't answer prayers, or (3) There is no God.

I might agree except for your logic sucks.

But I might inject that I think FrankNhonest got better logic than St. Paul.

Guest pseudoscientist
But I might inject that I think FrankNhonest got better logic than St. Paul.

More logical than the illogical doesn't make it logical.

But St. Paul was an idiot.

Guest pseudoscientist
But St. Paul was an idiot.

I'm tempted to reply to that, but I'm afraid I'd be insulting someone else instead of you.

Talk about illogical. You think there's a wrong way to escape christianity???

That's like saying there's a wrong way to get released from prison.

Kinda like that Paul Simon song. Slip out the back, jack. Make a new plan, Stan. Don't need to be coy, Roy. Just listen to me. Hop on the bus, Gus. Don't need to discuss much. Just drop off the key, Lee.

And get youself free.

There must be 50 ways to leave jesus.

All of them good.

Actually, his logic is flawless.

It's Xianity that sucks.

Guest pseudoscientist

If you were being sincere and that was not just an attempt to defend a fellow ex-Xian, then you're an idiot.

If you were being sincere and that was not just an attempt to defend a fellow ex-Xian, then you're an idiot.

Really? Then maybe you'd like to SHOW how the logic was flawed...

*crickets chirp*

*tumbleweed rolls by*

When you're ready....

Wow, I've never been called that before. Boy, do I feel burned.

Of course, you're welcome to point out the flaws in his logic. I won't hold my breath, though.

Of course, you're welcome to point out the flaws in his logic. I won't hold my breath, though.

I think PS is thinking of the 4th option: God answers prayers with "Maybe" and "No" and "Later", and that's why he consider the logic flawed. :shrug:

I think PS is thinking of the 4th option: God answers prayers with "Maybe" and "No" and "Later", and that's why he consider the logic flawed. :shrug:

Of course he's thinking about it - any Xian would have to think that way in order to explain why prayers don't get answered in the manner both prescribed and implied in the Babble :crazy:

I spent about 25 years of my life reading the Bible and praying for salvation. I prayed for repentance. I prayed for faith. I begged God for an answer. I prayed for wisdom. Sometimes I would spend hours asking God to reveal himself to me. I was sincere.

All to no avail. A couple of times I felt a flash of something, but quite what it was I don't know.

I got nothing from God. No salvation. No repentance. No faith. No revelation. Nothing.

So, I've come to the conclusion that (1) I am not one of the elect, (2) God doesn't answer prayers, or (3) There is no God.

how would you know you had recieved salvation after prayer. what were you expecting.

Prayer is the best optical illusion in the world.

Good observation on your part. Prayer failes every time simply because there is no BibleGod that is listening and has never been there in the first place. Just like all the other invented God's don't exist either. None of them are real. They are all fake.

How so?

Maybe because 3) doesn't follow from 1) and 2)???? :shrug:

I might agree, except that your rebuttal sucks.

I might agree, except that your rebuttal sucks.
I might suck, except that....

Never mind. :mellow:

It is pretty amazing how Fundy's seem to take every word of the Bible so literally until it doesn't mean exactly what they want it to mean... then it's a metaphor or an illustration or a parable.

That is so true, you are on the right track. Seeing you are a new member welcome to the boards, enjoy.

Just like this prayer thing for example, more than once prayer is said to work if your a True Christian. Still am yet to see one work for me in the last few years even with my parents praying.

On a related note. . . have you ever noticed that prayers are always answered to Fundys? If a Fundy asks god for something and the prayer doesn't meet with their expectations then naturally it's just god's way of saying 'no' or 'not right now'. But if that same Fundy's prayer is "answered" in the way that they want it to be then, of course, it's divine intervention! Couldn't we just chalk it all up to the natural course of events in a person's life? Why does it always have to be about a supernatural entity intervening in any way? There is absolutely no rock-solid proof of any supernatural events, but Fundys are all too willing to ascribe fortunate outcomes to a higher power.

Good observation! Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezusfuckingchrist! You are right! Those fundys with there outstreched hands always have their fuckin prayers heard and answered!

Consider most of them are castoffs from mainstream religion and their want of some elusive god and desire for prayers to be answered forms a self delusion that is hyptnotic.

Jesuschrist save me! I'm fuckin born again!